Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken internal Temp.

Options
belle's dad
belle's dad Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now I know I'm getting senile. I haven't done a chicken for a longtime, and, I can't remember what internal temp. I should strive for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got a spatchcocked chicken on a raised grill now.

Gordon
Vero Beach, FL

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    If the breast is 160 when you take it off, the white meat will be perfect.

The dark meat (thighs and legs) should be 175 or more in a perfect world.

Happy cookin
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • belle's dad
    Options
    Ahh - But this is not a perfect world --- If it was, I might have remembered. Thank's Chris
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Have to agree with Chris.But I received Bobby Flays Grilling For Life this Christmas and in his section of the book Fahrenheit 101 he recommends pulling a chicken or turkey breast at temperature of 150 to 155 and letting it rest til 160.This is the first time I have ever seen that low of a temp to pull.Go figure.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    That is not a bad idea at all. And the hotter you are cooking the more increase in internal temp you'll get during the rest.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    I cook plenty of whole chickens, and I always pull the chicken at 155 degrees and let it rest a few minutes. If you let it get hotter than that, it just gets dry. Never been sick from chicken in all these years; I think USDA recommendations are ULTRA conservative. Perhaps you need to go with 160 for chicken parts, but 155 is fine for a whole chicken. The temperature will climb when it rests. Check it with your thermapen. Again, if you go by the USDA recommendations, you will overcook poultry every time.