Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate for lge BGE from Lowe's

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What would the drain cover that someone posted about sometime back be called at Lowe's plumbing supply? My CI grate is cracked and I understand a good substitute may be purchased at Lowe's.. What size?

Thanks, Ray

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    If your egg is under warrenty call the Mother ship and get a free one.
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    You might want to measure the diameter of where it fits in and look for a drain insert (grate) of that size...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I recall some like using the Lodge trivet as a replacement also. Maybe someone could chime in?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You know, a trivet or tight weaved cooling rack might be a good substitution for the grate.

Possibly two cooling racks crossed might make a huge difference in the airflow into the lump.

GG
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I guess I'm brand loyal...BGE parts only for me!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that, however, a CI drain grate is a drain grate, I highly doubt BGE builds them or has them built specifically for them - might be wrong on that one.

If it isn't covered under warranty, what does it matter if it looks the same - beveled edges and all?

The crisscross idea is to get more airflow into the lump. Significant issue for those cooking at higher altitudes.

Speaking of crisscross, has anyone tried expanded metal as a fire grate?

GG
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    The crisscross idea is to get more airflow into the lump. Significant issue for those cooking at higher altitudes.

G, Perhaps you should consider raising the grate 1/8 - 1/4 inch as I did using carriage bolts. Needless to say I got the idea and the details here.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Hi Pete,

I haven't tried that because of the congestion when trying to clean the ash out via the lower vent.

I have thought of using 'L' bolts and drilling some holes in the fire box for the 'L' to rest, thus no congestion when cleaning out. However, there is the warranty issue.

Kent
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Brandon,
    years ago I went through a couple Lodge trivets in short order of 18 months. Trouble is they are actually thin and fragile and warp and crack. This was before BGE came out with their cast iron. I then switched to floor drains and get about 4 years or more out of each. OTOH the best one I've had for 7 years now is this one a friend had made for me at a machine shop. You could run a tank over it! Note the welded legs which support it from the base instead of resting on the fire box walls.
    IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Been there done that.Save your self a lot of time and frustration just buy one from the mother ship or dealer.Next choice is to get it replaced under warranty.There have been quite a few posts about the Lodge trivet and it is to thin and will not hold up.I have check out every big box store in Baltimore and no one has a replacement device that will work.Also checked out all of the plumbing supply houses and no luck.Outside of a floor drain that will cost 80.00 to 100.00 dollars plus.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Thanks guys for the tips ;)
    I will keep this in mind when replacing. Now I just have to use it enough to wear through the old one :whistle:
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."