Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Late night, no wife = Rib Time!

Options
Austin Smoker
Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The better half is in Orlando on business, which means I had both kids at my daughter's volleyball tourney all day yesterday. They won the whole thing, which was great fun, but that means we got home at MIDNIGHT - ouch.

Asked her what she wanted to celebrate the win?? "Baby backs" she answered...music to my taste buds.

One rack with JH Pecan, and one with Williams Grub Rub, fresh cracked pepper and a little brown sugar.

Should be looking at some good eats in about 5 hours...

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Comments

• Absolutely
    Options
    Looks good. I will have my daughter in Dripping Springs drop buy and pick up some to go :evil:
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    SGP's wife went away on tues/wed this past week and I did the same thing ... 2 racks of spares and about 20 brats ..then me and my buddy sat and gorged ourselves. I wonder why we're both overweight?
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    What kind of thermometers are you using? Like 'em?
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    The dome thermo is a Tru-Tel 1000 degree unit, and yes, I love it - according to the other (a Guru II), and the boiled water test, the Tel-tru is dead on accurate after a year's use.
  • stan
    stan Posts: 51
    Options
    Congrats on the win. The ribs look delicious.
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    Happy eggin'
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Nice job, Brad. I've been considering changing out dome thermometers for tel-tru, since mine have been off for a few months now. Good thing the DigiQ is pretty accurate. They're not too far off, but just enough to possibly ruin a good meal, you know?

What are you using to keep the thermo off the dome? Is that a piece of wood or a cork?

Thanks!
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Thanks Mike, had every intention of posting "after" photos...but the mob beat me to the ribs.

As for the Tel-tru, you've got a good eye. I cut a piece of wine cork to space it so the tip would be at the same depth as the OEM thermo. Also serves as a nice insulater if I need to grab the thermo when it's hot....also a good excuse to drink a bottle of wine. :whistle:
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Beanie-Bean,

I wouldn't try to talk you out of getting a Tel-Tru, because I love mine, but you can calibrate your BGE thermometer pretty easily. Stick it in some boiling water and adjust the nut on the back of the dial until it reads 212. If you're over about 2000 feet elevation, you will want to check a chart and adjust your target down from 212.