Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend burger report

Options
Stuckeydude from Oz
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I tried Egging burgers for the first time. After considering whether to buy pre-packaged ground beef or getting some chuck ground, I decided to just go for the regular ground beef for the convenience. I made up 4 patties from 750g of meat, with nothing added except some salt and pepper sprinkled on one side of the patties. Got the Egg up to 380F and cooked directly for 6 minutes a side. The burgers were just about well done, and they had a beautiful dark red crust which I presume was from the smoke generated from fat dripping on the lump (I didn't add any extra wood). They were better than any other burger I've cooked, but I forgot to buy cheese so I simply ate them in a bun with ketchup :) Next time, instead of plain burgers, I'm going to add some onion and some spices. I light my lump by putting some lit firestarters in the middle of the pile of lump. Do you folks spread the lump around once it's lit? I don't do that, and I found that the burgers which weren't cooked directly over the burning lump didn't have such a nice crust.[p]I've also got 3 very beautiful racks of baby backs which I'll be cooking on Wednesday. If I receive my order of Dizzy Pig rubs before then, it'd be the perfect way to try them out :) Wish I had a digital camera to show you folks some pics.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,
    glad the burgers came out so good. . .and as for this egger, you did them the right way (kosher salt and pepper only). . .if you like onion. . ..just take some nice slices and through them directly on the grill till they get soft, then lay them on the burger, then lay on the cheese. . .yummy. . ..may have to do them again tonight. . .. [p]best[p]max

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,
    Sounds like you're using more than one firestarter - you might want to try locating them in various places in the lump, so you're starting from two or three sites.
    Before I switched to MAPP gas, I used only one firestarter and stirred the coals when the lump was well-lit.[p]Ken