Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

We really are spoiled - ate at some BBQ places

FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So we went to a couple of local BBQ restaurants this week, and I have to say that I was really disappointed. The ribs at both places were so decidedly mediocre I couldn't believe that people really go there regularly and spend a lot of money for these. Maybe this is just what I get for going to BBQ restaurants in Massachusetts, but I think we've all had similar experiences elsewhere.

So the first place we went was called Firefly BBQ in Quincy MA. I hadn't ever noticed it before, but a friend told us it was there, and it's pretty close to our house. I looked at their website, and it bragged about how they've won over 50 national BBQ awards, so I was really looking forward to trying their food. I figured I could learn what it was 'supposed' to taste like, and learn how to make mine better. I ordered a combo plate with St. Louis ribs with their 'spicy' memphis-style sauce, along with sliced brisket. The brisket was just horrible. I really thought they had brought out the wrong thing - it looked like overcooked pot roast - no smoke ring - no color to the meat at all execpt grey, and no char on the outside. This had never seen the inside of a smoker, though it was billed as 'slow smoked for 14 hours'. It had very little flavor, and the meat was dried out. I don't think my dog would have eaten this. The ribs were OK - they at least smelled a bit smokey, had the right color, and tasted pretty good. They were really fatty though, and their spicy sauce might have had a pepper waved at it before cooking. It just tasted like molasses. My wife got the same ribs, and had the same opinion, but she also got some smoked pork sausages that were OK, though not great. I do have to say that all their side dishes were great though.

This morning, a friend of mine from college was in town, and he wanted to go to brunch. We ended up at Redbones, which is a pretty famous BBQ joint in Davis Square, Somerville MA. I hadn't been there in years, but I remembered having liked it in the past. Again, I ordered 'spicy' St. Louis cut ribs. These were better than at the other place. They obviously had been smoked, and the meat was falling off the bone. They were still really fatty, and the sauce was applied really sparingly and had no flavor at all. If they used I rub, I couldn't taste it. I ate them at noon, and it's now 8:30 and they are still sitting in my stomach like a rock. Blah.

I think I need to make some ribs this week. I need to get the memories of these things out of my head. I may be an amateur, but I can certainly make better than the '50 national awards' guy. I kind of want to set up the Egg in his parking lot and give people samples of decent BBQ. It's funny - I could overhear people at both places saying how much they liked the food, but after getting used to food off the Egg, I just don't want to eat meat at restaurants anymore.

Sorry for the long rant.

-John

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    FearlessGrill,

I hear you. I have had two really good Barbeque meals out in the last ten years. One roadside shack in Chattanooga and one in South Chicago.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    It is sad isn't it... and you eat it and the whole time you are thinking about what it is costing and how many racks that would buy and how much better they would taste at home. and have leftovers, maybe, to enjoy the next day!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Just curious where in South Chicago?
  • There are several meals I can no longer order in restaurants. Chinese food was still good for me, but I recently bought a wok. Someone I know had a Russian come over and work with him for about 2 weeks. The poor guy goes back to Russia and sends my friend an email begging him to send him some coffee. We go along in life blissfully ignorant, thinking we are eating and drinking good stuff until reality slaps us in the face. Sometimes the grass really is greener.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I know what you're saying, John. I was excited to see a new place, Rib City, open near my house. I ordered their signature rib platter and, honestly, they tasted like they had been smoked over a burning tire. Worst ribs I've ever had.

I'll say that a local chain, Bandana's, does make some very good ribs, but other than them I make the best I've had in St. Louie.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I bet it was called Governor Blow Dry's BBQ and Whatever!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Anne,

I don't have the address handy but it's right across the street from Leavitt Tube. I can e-mail you their address tomorrow or you can search their website. Fairly tough part of town but the que was awesome. How was the gumbo and where are your pics?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I don't eat at any BBQ places anymore unless the restaurant is operated by a team that competes on the BBQ circuit. I find these places are usually above average and similar to their competition cooks. Plus they have a huge reputation to live up to.
  • reelgem
    I'll should be able to find it with that info. RRP named a place in the post above this. He said it's called Governor Blow Dry's BBQ and Whatever! Strange name but I would think that rings a bell with you. The gumbo turned out great! Thanks for your help with the stock, that was greatly appreciated. No pics! I didn't egg any part of it so it's not worthy of the forum. Someday I hope to try it on the egg.
  • Little Steven
    Anne,

This is a cooking forum. Anything goes. The place I'm talking about was in the steel part of town. I don't even know if it had a name other than BBQ. It was amazing though.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I am pretty sure the Gov. Blow Dry was a reference to the Illinois Governor who will soon be sent "up the river."
  • reelgem
    It's the egghead forum. I seriously thought pictures had to be of things that were egged. I wish I would've taken pics. The roux came out beautiful. I'll find the BBQ place with what you said in your previous post. Thanks!
  • I don't think it's spoiled, just knowledgeable now.

I haven't had good BBQ made by someone else since I got my egg. The last time I tried was at my brother in laws engagement party. He and his now wife just loved this BBQ place and had to have it there. I got my plate, choked down a bite and just looked at my wife and she at me and we both just ate more salad. Tasted like it was made in a Crock Pot, no smoke, no bark, no flavor. Everyone else raved about how good it was.
    So the wife requested PP for Xmas eve dinner and we had them over. I think they realized what good BBQ was, they didn't stop complimenting on how good it was.
  • I don't think it's spoiled, just knowledgeable now.

I haven't had good BBQ made by someone else since I got my egg. The last time I tried was at my brother in laws engagement party. He and his now wife just loved this BBQ place and had to have it there. I got my plate, choked down a bite and just looked at my wife and she at me and we both just ate more salad. Tasted like it was made in a Crock Pot, no smoke, no bark, no flavor. Everyone else raved about how good it was.
    So the wife requested PP for Xmas eve dinner and we had them over. I think they realized what good BBQ was, they didn't stop complimenting on how good it was.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I really like bbq, like the rest of us. I willusually order it if we are out and I always regret it. I should have learned my lesson by now.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    John,

That's exactly what happened to me...now, I'd much rather spend the money on something to cook on the eggs.

Yup, we're spoiled :)
  • I ate at Inetrstate BBQ in Memphis last Thursday. Had a small sliced sandwhich and a small bbq spaghetti. Excellent! Go online and order. The ship anywhere.
  • What is the name of the roadside shack in Chattanooga? I live in Ringgold, GA nearby and would like to try something new.

Thanks...
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    The best non Egged ribs I have had were mail order from Burgerssmoke house. About a year ago I got excited when a BBQ Bar and Grill opened on my drive home from work. I thought no time for cooking pick up some ribs. Tried them once ,terrible. It closed with a year.
  • I couldn't agree more. I rarely order anything in a restaurant anymore that I can cook on the egg. It just never tastes as good, period. So that leaves Chinese, or pasta dishes for me.

Don't even mention going to a steak house!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I was trying to be funny. Being a resident of the state of Illinois I am duly ashamed of the infamous notoriety brought on us by our corrupt, inept Governor Blagojevich from Chicago. One look at his hair style and you can see why his puffy coiffure gives him the nickname of Governor Blow Dry!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    There are a few towns where I'll order barbecue. I rarely go to Kansas City without a trip to either Gates, Arthur Bryant's or Jack Stack. Corky's and/or Interstate in Memphis are worth the trip (though Corky's satellite stores are slipping). There's a place in Houston called Goode's that's acceptable, though now that I know about it, next time I'm there I'll have to look up the place that Spring Chicken always raves about. I like to search out authentic Carolina barbecue, but find the best places aren't the biggest or most popular. I think the trick is to rely on history and common sense. I wouldn't think of going out for barbecue in Massachusetts. I suppose if you live there you'd get tired of seafood, but when visiting that's my focus for as long as I'm there. Same with the Southwest, except it takes me a lot longer to get tired of Tex-Mex/real Mex/New Mex than it does to get tired of seafood! I guess I tend to rely on regional specialties to guide my restaurant choices, which of course is not possible when someone else does the picking! :blink: