Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chompzza

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Inspired by a Spanish Omelette (onion & potato), I modify by adding imported Spanish Chorizo & Manchego.

IMG_2828.jpg

To make, slice the Chorizo very thin & sautee it in olive oil, just until the oil turns a beautiful shade of amber, then remove:

IMG_2830.jpg

Sautee some thinly sliced onion in the same oil, then remove:

IMG_2833.jpg

Briefly fry thinly sliced potatoes (you don’t want potato chips here), then remove:

IMG_2832.jpg

Top the pie shell with mozzarella, the Chorizo, onions & potatoes, then top this with grated Manchego & to the egg: I made a second with the Manchego mixed in with the mozzarella, it was prettier:

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You just keep raising the bar my friend....Looks great..
  • Cincykid
    Options
    Marc,

EVERYTHING you cook looks outstanding! You could put up a post labeled "Turd on a stick" and I would think "That sounds gross but it's Zippy so it has to look and taste great.". After clicking on it I would immediately be hungry (again).

Seriously, I bookmarked your pizza dough recipe and I will be trying that when the wind chills hit the positive double digits. :S
  • Zippylip
    Options
    thanks Wess, this crust came out well today (never stuck to the hook - you know you are on the right track when that happens), last weekend's came out like crap, trouble stretching it, busted 10 holes in it, it never browned, & it didn't rise well, tasted ok, but today's was a nice come back - you freez'n your ass off lately, like me?
    happy in the hut
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Actually had mine last week stick to the screen on the first run..I think it may have been to thin, and I know it was wetter than normal....what a way to learn, a screwed up pizza is always better than no pizza...Be well my friend.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Don, thanks, but pictures can be deceiving, today's pizzas were very tasty, but sometimes the stuff I make looks good but tastes like crap, they go in the 'don't think I'll be makin that again heap' :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Cincykid
    Options
    I've had a few of those myself but normally you can tell from the pictures... :blush::)
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Zippy,
    Thanks for another great post!
    Ross
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    DAMN................ :P
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    you need to write a book titled

GREAT THINGS TO COOK AND EAT THAT YOU WISH YOU HAD THOUHGT OF. TOO BAD YOU DIDN'T.
    by zippylip

always an inspration.. tony's is in the mail
    bill
  • Zippylip
    Options
    very cool, looking forward to it. By the way, I picked up these items at Wegman's the other night, I was blown away at their cheese shop, they have everything under the sun
    happy in the hut
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Marc:

Lots of good stuff at Wegmans. You don't need it but I have had good luck with their recipes as well. Never had Manchego what is it similar to?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Marc,

As usual. That is the same chorizo as I smuggled in from Mexico. I'll certainly drive an hour to Buffalo if they have it at Wegmans. Can't beat the weck there anyway.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Marc,
    54 years old and I never noticed some of the stuff you cook with in the grocery store until I started reading your posts.Actually, I never spent much time in the grocery store until I got my BGE several months ago. :unsure: Another great looking cook! What are you doing for the game tomorrow?
    Brian
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    hmmm...taters on a za!?...who'd of thunk??..this looks great zippy..think uhm gonna try this one!!...thanks
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    You are not cooking at Ocala? I am 90 percent sure things will work out and I can drive. Would you like for me to bring you some cooking utensils, drive you to the store? :):)
    I thought about doing some seafood pizzas, but not after I saw you were coming :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    wtf?
    did you always cook?

what sucks about this is i'm feeling awfully unoriginal. hahaha

i do the "classic recipe" thing. last night we did steak au poivre, for example. i have the fancy wellington pics, and the paella and all that 'standard' crap. but man. you just go ahead and cook sh!t and it turns out incredible.

zippy: "i think i'll mix peanut butter and chocolate"

hey, by the way. i ate your "kick ya in the sack" rub while sitting at my desk working. haven't even tried it on actual food. poured it into my hand and licked it.

hhahaha

good stuff.

seriously, though, your cooks are always very original.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Marc,
    Man that looks good! Gives me chorizo heartburn just looking at it. Do you get your's from La Tienda?
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    You can eat your self to death you know!! Probably sue BGE when you have your first by-pass! (Will you handle my suit when I file ;) ) Pizza is up if I ever get a few days off around hear! Looks great AS ussual.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Tom, I don't know how to describe it as compared to other cheeses, it has the texture & moisture of the best aged sharp provolone, but it is much more mild; the flavor is unique. Go grab a nice hunk of it, you'll love it I am sure, it also goes great on fritattas & is best when eaten all by itself
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Susan, I know you are kidding about not cooking the seafood pizzas, we both know they will be spectacular :); in fact, I will be there to watch & study as I don't think I have ever done one, I haven't had much luck with seafood in general, don't really understand it, & the way I fly into everything half-assed I tend to overcook it most of the time, I don't have the gentle touch necessary to get it right like it should be
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Stike, yes, I always have cooked, since I was allowed to turn on the stove, my Grandfather lived with us & taught me how to hand make pasta, these are some of the earliest memmories of my life, and it was always about opening up the refrigerator & working with whatever was in there, so creating stuff was more of a necessity than a plan
    happy in the hut