Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are we doing wrong?

Options
kim
kim Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, you were all so helpful the last time I posted (TG), I am hoping for some expert advice again. [p]We traded up and got a medium egg recently. Since getting the new one we have not been able to get it to heat up to temperature. Last night we decided to try again and spent 45 minutes and could only get it to 100 degrees. We ended up cooking in the oven.[p]We have the top open (black daisy wheel) and the bottom vent all the way open. The coals are red hot. Yet it will not heat up. I checked the egg with our oven thermometer and the reading is accurate so that isn't the problem. [p]Any suggestions? I want to cook a steak tomorrow but my husband is so mad at the BGE he may not agree to attempt.[p]Kim

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Kim,
    Have you checked to see that the hole in the firebox is ligned up with the bottom vent? Also, are you putting in enough lump? I would also check your thermemeter in boiling water just to be sure that is not the problem. I was having problems getting my small up to temps..found out I wasn't using enough lump.[p]~nikki

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Kim,
    If your coals are red hot, and your thermo is correct, I am inclined to think you might not be using enough lump charcoal. Are you using fresh lump or stuff from the last cook?[p]Tell the hubster to hold that chin high and keep plugging away!
    Happy friday
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Kim, I see you say you used your oven thermometer to check...what style is it?
    Do you calebrate your dome thermometer?
    Was your lump damp? Was it all used lump, or had you mixed in new?
    Are your grate holes clogged?
    Did you feel the temp - I'm serious - you'll soon learn to guage a temp knowing what "such and such" temp ought to feel?
    Unfortunately BGE keeps putting that misleading cook book in the box which implies a blast furnance in 10 minutes time!
    Of course the usual questions come to mind too - is your vent and firebox openning lined up?
    Lastly even with Miss Dasiey wide open you are restricting your air flow and 600 is probably tops - so remove her altogether for sear temps.
    Lastly, a real high temp is possible early on when the fire is first taking hold, but that is just a flame high temp - you need to stablize.[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    lump2.jpg
    <p />Kim,[p]I am guessing you have too little lump in there. The manual (joke book) says something like a couple handsfull - but fill the fire box up past the side air holes. Pictured is enough to get you grilling for a couple hours or to do steaks or to slow cook for 10+ hrs.[p]Tim
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Kim,[p]I had the same problem when I got my medium..[p]I bought a nice small pork roast, had it waiting, followed the directions in the BGE cookbook, small amount of lump, tried lighting with a small ball of crumbled up newspaper under the lump. I created quite a cloud..and the only temperature climb I witnessed was in my giant cranium as the fornt porch filled with acrid smoke from the newspaper burning...I yelled to the wife... "light the oven..or we'll never eat this thing!".[p]As a last resort, I ran to my woodshop, got some scrap wood, added much more lump, stuck the scrap wood down in the bottom, lit it and waited. Slowly I watched, a triumphant feeling burning inside me as the temp guage slowly climbed..grabbing that pork roast..and with a song of glee..I dropped it onto the grill..and 40 minutes later we were eating the best pork I ever ate (at that moment..since then..the pork has only gotten better).[p]My problems...(with the egg I mean..I don't wanna spend the rest of the day typing)..[p]1) Following that BGE cookbook that came with the egg. That's a big Bozo no no.[p]2) Lighting with newspaper, yuck..caughin weezin..all that nasty ash. Now I use fire starters .. much easier.[p]3) Way too little lump.. attributed to number 1 above.[p]4) Trying to start the fire UNDER the lump. Now I get all the fresh lump I want, you want a lot in there, don't forget , that what does not burn off, can be used for the next cook. You can't have too much (within reason of course) but you certainly can have too little..which sounds like it may be your problem. after I put all the lump in, and the vents are all opened up, top and bottom..I sorta make a small cavity in the middle, drop in a lit firestarter..and then loosely pile some fresh lump around the flame, sorta like a pyramid, to get that burning. Once that's burning..you can spread it around to get the fire evened out a bit...and change the vent setting to what suits your cook..you don't want to overshoot your temp, cause it could be hard to get back down...depending on how long it's been over the desired temp..get in the habit of creeping UP on it, easier to stabilize that way.[p]Hope this helps...this only happened to me on the first cook, once I got the hand of how to start the egg and maintain the temp..it was a bit-o heaven.[p]I am by no means an expert..but what I described seems to work for me..sometimes you just need to play around a bit to see what works for you...and what you're comfortable doing.[p]just be careful..once I started using this here egg...the strangest things started happening to me....[p]StumpBaby

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Amen to all you said! I use the top of the fire box as a fill line when adding charcoal.
    Julie

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Kim,
    If you are leaving the daisy wheel top on while trying to light it, I'd say that is your problem, assuming the lower vent is properly lined up. Take that top off to light and put it back when you are ready to stabilize the temperature.[p]Jim

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Kim,
    Here are a few comments that were sent out by myself & Frozen Chosen some time back. GFW was knid enought to keep them on his web sit & i hope they help.[p] It should be getting higher than that. First check your thermometer for accuracy. Then make sure you have only clean lump charcoal with the bigger pieces on the bottom. Holes in
    the grate must be clear. The metal trivet and other designs will give higher temps than the factory plate, but you should still get to 800F easily. [p] Just a few things I looked for when I started. These ideas came from everyone on the
    forum. Some may sound simple but they all contribute to the temp problems. [p] Make sure lower firebox side opening, lines up 100% with the lower vent door
    Clean as much burnt coals from bottom of egg so as air will flow freely, this includes
    coals that may be between the firebox & the inside wall.
    Depending on the type of top you have ( slider or daisy wheel) I remove the daisy wheel
    totally until I am going too shut the temp down.
    Clear small lumps from bottom grate, also stops good air flow.
    Even with damp charcoal temp will eventually get to 800-1000 plus degrees.
    Try to add more coals to see if this helps
    Hope at least one of these things help. [p]GFW'S site http://BBq.yyyz.net/

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    ... and if all else fails, Kim, get out a blow dryer!

• Kim,[p]I had the same problem so I got rid of the thing. There's a lot of stuff on the market that is a WHOLE lot cheaper. Actually, I went gas. Now I don't need any charcoal, not even the high priced egg stuff. Break away from the ccoal, it's not good for your health anyway.

• kim
    kim Posts: 63
    Options
    Thank you all for the help and information. The problem was a combination of several things suggested. We had USED/OLD lump charcoal in it, and nowhere near enough. Also the airholes were a little clogged with damp ash. I am thinking the problem the last few times we have tried has been not enough charcoal. [p]We ate delicious ribeyes (raspberry/malt vinegar/brown sugar marinade) out on the deck tonight. The Egg was cranked up to 700 degrees within about 15 minutes. We are ready for a great spring and summer on the Egg.[p]Oh and we just use the temp gauge we got with it...I have looked at the polders and I read on Amazon/Epinions that they don't last long so we have stuck with the regular gauge since we are happy with it. Comments on that welcome also.[p]Kim
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Kim,
    The thermometer that came with the egg is for measuring cooking temps. The polders are used to measure the temp inside the meat. They are really handy for doing longer cooks, so you dont have to keep opening your dome to get the meat temp. I would definately invest in one. They don't have to be the expensive model. I have had mine (less than $10 spent on it) for a year with no problems. E-mail me if you are intredted in one.[p]~nikki