Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I suck at cooking with the Egg - I'm selling it!

124»

Comments

• Point noted. We'll get a pack of ribeyes at costco and just freeze whatever we don't use.

Thanks!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You will find them to be much more enjoyable.

If you search the forum for Hot tub and/or TRex you will find the two preferred ways to cook steaks on the Egg. Both have their advantages.

Try them both and decide which works for you.

Safeway has better meat then Omaha. Hell I would bet WinCo does too. I had pretty good luck with a lot of SaveMarts meats too.

Get in touch with Smitty. He's a great guy and one hell of an Egg resource.
  • I did several cooks trying to time chicken... it's just NOT the way to "Egg".

"TEMPERATURE TRUMPS TIME!"... period. Get an instant read themometer.

The only thing I time is ribs (I also check for "droop" or "bend" in the slap and that the meat pulls away from the bone), and I reason that is because with low and slow, and the long cook times, over low heat, once you get things stable the temperature is less likely to vary. Plus I usually have a plate-setter and drip pan for ribs, and the added "thermal mass" of the plate setter tends to keep the heat more even.

Keep working at it and use THIS forum, it's the best "wingman" (no pun intended) your Egg will ever have. THESE folks, as they say, "got your six".
  • 1. Don't cook steaks less than 1" thick. Or at least not at 650+deg. Maybe more like 500deg for less than 1 minute each side.
    2. Forget about smoking chips and rubs for now.
    3. Use the same thickness of steaks until I can time it right.
    4. Use these forums ALOT!

You did very well to get through all the replies and condense it down to those 4 points!

BTW- you can always roast a steak at 400 without turning it into jerky and it will taste great. In fact, there's a lot you can cook that tastes great cooked at 400!

Buying the meat at Costco or BJ's is what I do. I am getting "Choice" meat in whatever cut I select and paying a low cost per pound.

Big difference between a gasser and the Egg, your whole concept of time has to change. with the gasser I could start thinking about supper at 5:00 and we could eat at 5:30. With the Egg I start thinking on Thursday what I'm going to cook on Saturday. (And I light it at 4:30 to be cooking at 5:00)

Initially, I had to give up cooking on weeknights after work because I needed to do something that was quick enough to enable everyone to eat, get their homework done and get to bed like normal on a school night. I have since learned how to do that on the Egg while still accommodating the aforementioned. Not every night, but easily 1 or 2 weeknights each week.

One more recommendation for a Thermapen. I'm not a big spender and I didn't tell my wife how much I paid for it, but the Thermapen really makes difference when you are cooking food by temperature. I use it on every cook. Don't think of it as a luxury item. Do yourself a favor and get it.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Good stuff. Looks like many of us can use a little more patience.

I'm glad you have some new things to try. Keep experimenting and keep posting.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL what a great group of people on here. just read through this post.... Ha ha next to "one pepper pete's" it was a busy one. Is is pretty cool though that even though there were doubters everyone was still trying to help. that is what makes this such a great forum :)
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    CA, I agree with Celtic Wolf, please use a little "better" brand of meat. Sorry, but I have a real bad taste in my mouth when it comes to them.(No pun intended). Enjoy!

Walt
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    don't forget, the only thing that will not char and burn on a steak is salt. the rub you added was toasted at those temps and times.

i sear with salt only (salt added before searing, to warm steaks on a plate), and i'll add other seasoning afterward (rubs, pepper) on the plate. that, or i'll add seasoning for the second part of the cook (the roasting step), that is, if i do a two-part cook.

usually (if i hot tub the steaks), i simply cook by only searing.

usually on a nice choice steak it's just salt and pepper for me. ...the pepper coming after the sear
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    According to Alton Brown you should salt your steaks at least 1/2 hour prior to searing. This allows time for the salt to draw water soluble proteins to the surface of the meat, which will increase and enhance browning.
  • CAegger, you were on a roll. Maybe we should sticky what not to do on your first egg cook.

1) Do not drink alcoholic beverages to excess prior to starting.

2) Do not read your owners manual after you have broken rule 1) above

3) Do not find and use recipes after you have broken rule 1) above

4) Do not access a forum of Egg lovers with your disappointment after breaking all three of the rules above!

5) DO sleep it of, DO some research, DO post some questions, and DO it again! Then post back some positive comments!

Good luck.
  • stike
    exactly. it is not possible to dry out meat by salting it. if you added a cup off salt to the thing it wouldn't dry it out.
  • I think it's the Omaha that sucks not the BGE. :whistle:
  • But it might taste too salty.

I tried the "tenderize the steak by coating with tons of salt and let it set for 30 mins before the cook" method once. I can't say that it improved the texture of the meat, but it definitely retained too much salt flavor.
  • stike
    yeah. dry brine of sorts. i was just tossing out some hyberbole with the "cup of salt thing". f

folks will warn against salt "drying out your meat", but think nothing of coating butts and ribs in sugar, which sucks out more water than salt ever will....
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    welcome to the forum & good luck.... :P