Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I suck at cooking with the Egg - I'm selling it!

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Seems rather odd to me with all these responses you have no answer but oh well if you are serious take the advice of all these good people after all spme other good advice is Don't kick my dog or talk trash about my Egg!!!!
    When i first got my egg I wasn't practicing good time management some of the best advice I got was to plan ahead a little and use patience if you do that it doesn't take all that much time to get the egg going for some fabulous cooks
    Good luck
    Gerry
  • DON'T GIVE UP YET!
    I have had my large for 12 years and just got a mini. I didn't give a thought to the fact that the mini is alot different and I would have to get used to it. Still, my first initial cooks were not disasters, just not as good as if I cooked them on the Large. There definitely is an adjustment period, just keep trying and ask lots of questions here. You will continue to get great advice.
    Good Luck.
    Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Pop
    Pop Posts: 27
    Welllll, since you haven't responded to any of the very helpful posts here I can only assume one of two things: 1. you are just trolling and like to see what you can stir up, or 2. you are so unhappy with your Christmas present that you don't care what anybody says, you just want to go back to your old gasser.

Soooo, I will ask the question that is on everybodys mine but are hesitant to ask....HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY ME TO TAKE THAT PIECE OF CRAP OFF YOUR DECK AND OUT OF YOUR LIFE?

I'm really very reasonable and have a truck. Call me.

Pop
    Alabama
  • Pop
    Hey chevy, use that little period thingy every now and then!!

Pop
  • :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 61chev
    sorry i'm much better with the egg than typing
    Gerry
  • Pop
    Hey Chevy, I was just having a little fun. Believe me when I say, the backspace "correction" key is my best friend!

Plus, I'm from Alabama and we talk funny. I can't be critical of anyone!

Pop
  • I think you hit it on the head when you said "I have not idea what I'm doing. :laugh: "
  • 61chev
    Well I'm from Iowa and I don't think you talk funny it's that my ears just don't listen right
    Gerry
  • I suspect a troll here.
    Everytime one of these pops up everyone jumps in.
    Just look at the number of responses and he/she (the originator) never is seen again.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Inclined to agree!

However, I know of some people who just aren't cut out for this type of cooking. For them, "Easy" is all that matters - turn a dial, and it's ready. They actually turn out a good, consistant product, just not as good as it could be.

That in mind, back to the earlier question:

CA...........Canada? Or California?

I've been looking for a 2nd LBGE at a good price for years (Just don't tell my wife) :evil:
    South SLO County
  • Where in CA are you? I'll be happy to spend some time with you if you are in the Sacramento area. The learning curve for the Egg is a little steep if you have been mostly cooking on a gas grill, but well worth the effort. Temperature control is the most important thing to learn as the are no high, medium and low settings on the Egg. This site is a wealth of information so ask any questions you need to,someone will answer. Don't condemn the Egg because you haven't given it a fair shot.
  • Cooking meat solely on times is not the best way to do it do it.

What you need to do is feel the meat. Push down on top of the meat to know how well cooked it is. That will never lie. Take your index finger and push down on it.*This is how chefs check most if not all their meat they cook*

The rule of thumb for is ... If you're right handed use your left hand for this little trick or if you're left handed use your right.

Take you pointer or index finger and curl it over to touch the tip of your thumb* Don't press down hard..be sure to relax*. then take your other hand and take your index finger and thumb and lightly squeeze the muscle in between your thumb and index finger on the hand you're checking.

Index finger to thumb is rare
    Middle finger to thumb is medium rare
    Ring finger*at least on your left hand.. you should get the point* Medium
    pinky finger to thumb is Medium well

After you get used to it.. you will eventually not need to check your hands..you'll just know.

Be sure to use a meat thermometer for checking chicken/poultry.

Most chicken you will cook at 350-400. whole chicken may take an hour or 90 minutes depending on size.

Use these tips and you'll be an expert on most anything you cook on. :-)

Hope this helps
  • Another rule of thumb..with the egg.

Don't fool around with your vents all the time.. if you do that..you'll never truly stabilize the temp inside.

Once you stabilize the temp with the shutters. It should pretty much sit at that temp..at least until charcoal starts burning down.

My rule of thumb is. Heat egg to temp above what you want to cook at. Then start cutting off oxygen till you get it where you want. Once you get it drops approx to the temp you want.. Lightly tap the metal top on top. give it only a wee bit more O^2. Then it will sit.

You're ready too cook :-)
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Pork Butt Mike wrote:
    Runner I am sorry to tell you, on a new egg you should not exceed over 500 degrees in temp. this could cause the gasket to burn or melt. When breaking in a new egg, you should for the first couple of weeks keep the temp no higher then 500 degrees. Plus you don't need that high of temp with steaks your doing anyway. Good Luck

I believe that is true (break-in) although there does seem to be some debate on that topic. Anyway, it sounds like he is beyond the break-in period now. I went through 2 greys before my Nomex. I just did three cooks at 450 or less and have fired it up good since then without issue. Still cross my fingers when I burb though. 
    I like the high temp though. I think I got my timing figured out now @650 so I'm sticking to that. Once I get my Thermapen and will not rely on time as much. Still, I’m suggesting he pick a temp and stick with it for consistency purposes.
    I don't think this is a troll post..he may not be able to check the forum as often as some of us is all. Let's see.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Well lets look at this thread with many many post and no responce from CAEggFan, hmm. I live in SoCal so I could help him out, but he is a no-show right now.

I'll wait and see if he comes back to look for help.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    SoCalWJS,

The profile says US....but then again so does mine.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I dunno. I've been watching this post from the start and wonder like many others, as to why this person hasn't returned. Kinda smells of the "I'm entitled" mentality to me...
  • CAEggFan,

Do not be too hard on yourself. I had my pit beef down to a science on my Char-Griller Smoker. My first try of pit beef on my new ceramic cooker it was ok, but not nearly as good the previous ones I had made. After cooking about 50 + times and for 6 months I feel at home and have gotten great results on my ceramic cooker.

I even purchased a BGE XL in Dec 2008 and had issues with temp not getting/staying as high as I wanted it to be the first time I used it. It is just a Learning Curve.

You are going thru a learning curve. Keep cooking and within 6 months or less you will feel at home on your new BGE.

Hang in there. Start with less costly meat/pork until you are happy with the results. Then go for the more costly meats. This form is also a good support group.

Just one Man thoughts

Good Luck,

GrillDaddy
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    looking at this thread and seeing: Re: I suck at cooking with the egg.......then a bunch of names in green....Ironic thing, we all sucked for a time being....some of us probably still suck with some cooks, I know I do plenty... T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Take it easy and relax. I went throught the same exact thing. I wanted to get rid of mine too. I called my egg the "Big Green Monster". I'm still not good enough to help you but if you get one of the vets on the forum to talk to you directly I think that would help. I was very fortunate that Carwash Mike took me under his wing and walked me through many problems. I can even cook ribs now and people say they are the "BEST" they ever had in their life. Hang in there. You're going to love your egg as soon as you get more acquainted with it. It won't take long.
  • reelgem
    I agree a thermapen is a must have. But I wouldn't tell him negatves about forum members. They've helped me tremendously. Naked Whiz has a fantastic site and is a great help.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Yep...my thought x'actly!!

I'll post here...to keep my "sterling rep" intact...

:P
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • reelgem
    That's a great tip Mike! Very important. Hope you're feeling better. Are u going to make it to Ocala? Hope to see you.
  • reelgem
    Wow! Those are some pretty harsh words. I read tons on the forum and still had problems. Sometimes you do a search for information and there's soooo many respponses that you get more confused. A person really needs to have someone walk them through it, either on the phone or personally. I truly believe that.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I agree... Found this forum, read all the posts for 6 months and learned a lot before I bought my BGE (large). My first cook (pork butt) was all I could want, and everything since has been beyond my imagination! If one wants a "Set It And Forget It" scenario, the BGE is not for you!