Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Homemade Pasta?

Options
ewillie
ewillie Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody made it with any success?

I got the pasta maker attachment for the KitchenAid for Christmas, thought I'd give it a try this weekend.

Thanks, Erik

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    We've done it several times, and it's the best pasta I've ever had. Lotta work though. If you have the time, it is definitely worth it.

You got the metal pasta rollers and cutters right?? They also make a cheaper kit that you can "extrude" pasta in. I hear that one doesn't work well.

The semolina flour is definitely worth playing with as well. At least some mixed in with the all-purpose flour.

Melts in yo mouf.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Hi Erik,
    Have not tried pasta on the kitchenaid, but have made oodles of noodles using my hand crank pasta machine. It takes some work, but if you can turn the work into fun, you will love it! It will be the best pasta you've ever eaten! Can use the sheets to make any kind of ravioli, tortellini, etc! It's a blast, and excellent.
    Here is a very basic recipe that has never failed me:
    In a food processor,
    2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    3 large eggs, beaten
    water, as needed
    flour, as needed

Place flour in processor. Pulse quickly to aerate.
    Add the eggs, and pulse with the food processor until the dough forms a rough ball, about 30 seconds. If dough looks like little pebbles, add 1/2 teaspoon of water at a time until it comes together. If the dough is too wet, add flour, 1 Tablespoon at a time. It should combine to be a rough ball.

Turn the ball onto a dry worksurface, and knead until the dough is smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Use flour if its sticking.

Cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for at least 15 minutes to relax prior to rolling. (can be wrapped and stored in refrigerator for up to one day before rolling).
    recipe from "The New Best Recipe", by Cooks illustrated.

Good luck! I have been successful with this recipe every time.
    LC
  • Bahmanicious
    Options
    I love making fresh pasta. It IS a bit of work and can be a bit messy (I tend to get flour everywhere), but is quite rewarding in the finished product. I just have a hand cranked pasta roller and have never tried extruding.

I imagine that the KitchenAid would really simplify the process. Press on and let us know how it turns out.
    Best,
    WA