Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mastering the ThermaPen

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just trying to get my mind around the best way to use a ThermaPen, or any meat thermometer for that matter.

When doing a steak, if you come in from the top, it's hard to know when you're in the middle with the tip of the probe. The other night, I checked some filets by inserting the probe through the edge, where the center is easier to judge and the depth of the insertion is much less critical. Anyone else do it this way? Any reason not to do it this way?

Comments

• UnConundrum
    Options
    My first reaction was "whatever works for you," but the more I thought about it, I would think going from the side would be awkward with a hot fire, moving the steak around, changing the grill marks, etc. I think that as you use your ThermaPen you'll get used to how deep you need to go... and you can pull it out a little and compare readings. It's not a one shot and done tool... you can average readings at different depths.
  • bitslammer
    Options
    Go in from top at a 45 degree of smaller angle. It will give you more "control" as you're taking a longer path through the meat.

You can also hold the probe next to the side of the meat and see how far up the probe it needs to go to hit center. That gives you a little visual cue.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    The 45 degree angle works. Plus, being it is a true instant read, when you think you're halfway in, go a little deeper, and the hotter reading should mean your getting ready to pop thru the bottom.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    as you go in, the temp will drop, when it starts to rise, that means you are past the center and headed out the other side. the lowest reading will have been the center.

on a thermapen, this happens instantaneously, you can watch the numbers fall
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments so far, guys. I like the 45º angle idea.

The genesis of probing from the edge came from an episode of Good Eats I saw recently. Alton was checking the temp on a sausage, and he went in from the end, rather than the top.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    That's where I saw it too. GG
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    That works fine with sausage if you can get to the middle. One time I Thermapened a sausage from the end, but the actual center was 10 degrees less than the end.
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    Is the ThermaPen not the thermometer you only need to insert something like 1/4"? :huh:
  • stike
    Options
    if you only stick it in a quarter inch, but the center is at a half inch, how would it know the temp at center?

the thermapen has the smallest thermistor, and it is located right at the tip. it only needs to go in a 1/4 inch top give you A temp, but not THE temp. the most accurate temp is in the center of the meat
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Yes, the tip is accurate with only 1/4" inserted, but it is accurate for the meat at that depth. On a 1.5 inch thick steak, if you're going for 125º and you read it at 1/4" depth, the center is likely to be stone cold.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    You beat me by 39 seconds.
  • stike
    Options
    i wish i had a nickel for every time my wife said that