Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Brisket in the BGE

Options
otis
otis Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

My wife and I prefer the flat cut of brisket vs the whole, usually. What I'm thinking of doing is put a flat on the BGE with a drip pan and firebricks between brisket and coals. Smoke til 140 degrees when it reaches max smoke stage. Take the brisket off the Egg, wrap in foil and finish in oven (yes, i know, i said oven) to keep from drying out. Any suggestions? If I finish on the BGE how would i keep it from drying out????

Comments

• otis,[p]Use indirect and wrap in foil.... The egg is an oven also... It's just fired with charcoal...

• otis,[p]I do 6-7# flats in the egg all the time and never had a problem with them being dry (at the time of slicing). Once the brisket is sliced it'll dry out real fast.[p]You might also try this......[p]Build a multi-level cooking grid using stainless steel studs, nuts and fender washers and a second cooking grid. Note: DO NOT use hardware that is plated. Use STAINLESS STEEL.[p]Put the flat on the bottom grid and put a Boston butt on the top grid, directly over the flat. The pork drippings will help in keeping the flat moist. Cook indirect at 250F. dome until both cuts read 195-200F. internal. I did this last weekend and both cuts of meat finished in a little over 16 hours.[p]Good Luck![p]Jeff
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    otis,[p]2 things......[p]Smoke will absorb into the meat for as long as you add it. What you are referring to is the smokering formation. That stops at around those levels. But, smoke will be absored throughout the entire cook.[p]Why finish in the oven? As Scottie said...that is exactly what any grill really is...an oven with a different heat source. You are wrapping in foil, so that will keep the meat very moist. I would suggest not wrapping until it hits 160-165º.[p]Stogie