Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pineapple followup

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After reading the suggestions on buttery sugary pineapple, I had to try them again last night with the added ingredients. Bought another ripe pineapple, sliced into 1/2" discs, dipped in melted butter, sprinkled Turbinado sugar on both sides, and grilled at 450F for 6 mins/side.[p]Results: TOO sweet, in my opinion. Maybe I used too much sugar, I don't know. But for someone who absolutely loves and craves sweets, this treat was a bit too sweet even for my tastes. Perhaps the ripe pineapple has enough natural sweetness of its own, or maybe I messed up somewhere. I was thinking that the pineapple would be good with something salty that would offset the sweetness, so I fetched a spoonful of peanut butter to eat with it. Hmmm . . . not a good idea.[p]Still very tender & juicy, but just too sweet this time. Perhaps next time I will go back to just the plain pineapple, or, hmmm, add it to the next pizza.[p]TRex

Comments

• TRex,
    I agree with you. Skip the added sugar they are naturally sweet enough if they are ripe.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    TRex,[p]Be careful adding fresh fruits to pizza in the Eggs. I have not heard anyone having problems with them specifically, but I have seen many posts where people have had problems with tomato chunks and wedges on their pizza. The extra water in them renders out and makes the pizza too wet and soggy. Pineapple might too if you have a lot of them. Ofcourse, I am not a pineapple on a pizza kind-a-guy either.[p]I need to do the grilled pineapples again someday soon. I forgot how good those were -- thanks again to MikeO for that one!

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    TRex,
    How about skipping most of the sugar, and adding butter and rum?

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    TRex,[p]Not sure if the Turbinado sugar was the problem or not, but I have had this dish with light brown sugar and it was great. Sweet, yes, but not as sweet as you described. [p]Give it a try and see if it helps.

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    TRex,[p] Glad you're having fun with the recipe. How much sugar you need will depend on how sweet the fruit is and how ripe it is. The newer "gold" pineapples are higher in sugar content and fairly sweet already. As for the turbinado sugar -- I find it to be less sweet than refined white sugar. If the pineapple is sweet enough already, just use the spices and a bit of rum . . .[p]Mike
  • TRex
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Yeah, next time I'll use the spices minus the sugar, and throw rum into the mix.[p]Thanks for the help.[p]TRex
  • TRex,[p]I tried pineapple last night after reading these posts yesterday. I don't get it personally. I love pinapple, but the initial taste is smoky when grilled on the BGE. Smoky pineapple isn't very good IMO, and I could tell by the look on my wifes face that she didn't think so either.[p]Maybe I didn't do something right. I didn't get a very crunchy crust on the outside, so perhaps that was the problem. I was cooking some sausages on the other side and had to open the lid fairly often to turn those.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    RG,[p]Pineapple takes only about 10 minutes to cook and should not taste smokey if "grilled" at the proper temp. My thoughts are that you may not have had them over a direct hot area of your cooker. I have done these several times and had a good hot "grill" type fire going. They came out with a nice crunch from the sugar being carmelized from high heat and only a hint of smoke.

• Bob,[p]I may try them again when the BGE's services are dedicated to them alone. It was tough keeping the temp up due to opening the lid so often, but there was a good hot fire underneath them and I didn't figure dome temp was very important on such a short cook.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    RG,
    Your smokey taste more than likely came from all of the grease coming from the sausages and burning off. It would have been best to do the pineapple alone, maybe give it another try.....HTH[p]Wess

• TRex
    Options
    RG,[p]High temp = less smoke. Maintaining the higher temps would have probably eliminated your smokey taste, plus, as was mentioned already, sausages smoke A LOT b/c of all the grease. [p]My pineapple barely had a smoke taste at all, and a nice crust. Try them again.[p]TRex