Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size Egg?

Options
Mike in MN
Mike in MN Posts: 546
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My butcher wants to buy an Egg. Every time I talk to him about what I'm cooking, he gets that look in his eye....[p]Requirements: big enough to do 1 Butt, or a rack of ribs cut in half. He's single, and doesn't have to cook for more than himself.[p]What size will work?[p]Thanks!![p]Mike in MN

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Does he know how many friends he is going to be cooking for. If he is good, he'll be sampling his cooks at the store, talk about marketing. Based on the info you gave, a medium.
    Saw you post on the mushroom. Do you cut the stem out or anything like that. Have 3 slabs of babybacks, BBQ beans, and hopefully good mushrooms.[p]CWM
    [/b]
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I wouldn't cut the stem out...it's good eatin' Maybe if it was an ugly, gnarly stump...[p]He has odd hours and days that he works...so, he will be cooking for himself......Kind of like I am doing right now...Salmon on the BGE, and 1 large portabella mushroom (complete with the stump) [p]He wants to be able to do those Butts for pulled pork. I take him samples on a regular basis....That makes him happy! [p]Mike in MN

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Mike in MN, Maybe a small then? My cook for the mushrooms will be spray with Italian dressing for a few minutes. Toast the stem side down, turn over and add bacon (already cooked) and add a 3 cheese Italian mixture.
    Hope this works out. Been looking for something new to me.[p]CWM
    [/b]
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Sounds like quite a project...but good! I might have to experiment with these. I make mushrooms as hors d'oeuvres by removing stems and filling the cap with a pesto like filling, and then baking in the regular oven @325 for about 20 minutes. Easily adapted to the egg.[p]I just pulled my salmon and the one mushroom I was cooking...it worked. Nice lunch. [p]I rubbed the leftover salmon marinade on the mushroom (teriyaki based, garlic, cilantro, seaonings) and just threw it on the grill, stump up, (260-275) for about 20-25 minutes. It came out wonderful, in fact I learned from this because I don't normally buy the big mushrooms. Sliced up real nice, and the juice ran out of it....Used Alder, pecan, and apple...but the grill was full of residuals...I just did ribs, and there was all sorts of goodies left in the lump.[p]
    Mike in MN