Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Better this time w/ Publix dough for Pizza

Options
rockytopsc
rockytopsc Posts: 856
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had better luck by using some paitence w/ the dough. Got two pizza's out this ball. Since we've been egging the last 4 months we've tried many different food items. With this cook it was the Mozzarella Ovoline Cheese. Very nice and we liked it and will use it again. Boiled up some boneless chicken breast and sliced some veggies.

DSC01907.jpg

First pizza before
DSC01908.jpg

Second pizza after
DSC01909.jpg

Comments

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Where did you get those beautiful maters?

Walt
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    The pizza looks mighty tasty. My the way have you tried purchasing the dough from a local pizzeria. I pay 3 dollars for a large and i have found it better then what I have gotten from a food store.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Nice job Rocky! Looks good! That Publix dough has always been pretty consistent! Only had one bad batch in our experience. We use it for a quick dinner. No matter how it turns out, it beats any delivery pizza!! As a suggestion, look to see if your market has Dei Fratelli pizza sauce. It actually comes in a can. (Shh..I'll deny using a canned sauce...except that the whole forum has seen this!) ;) Honestly, short of making my own, Dei Fratelli pizza sauce comes with my highest recommendation.
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    Hey Cecil
    Got those (Amorosa) at Publix. The smell and taste were very good. What's the word on LK?
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    Havn't tried yet but have only been playing w/ pizza dough for a few months now. We don't have many if any local ones here but the chains.
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    Thanks LC! I'll look for that sauce. We just started using this sauce about 2 months ago for something different and it's better than what we were using.

GO GATORS? Oh that's right they have some game this week, I think. Still can't find which bowl my VOLS are playing in, wait a minute, the TOLIET BOWL! Go Gators but not Tebow! :)
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Pizza looks great! Boiled chicken?
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    Don't know if I used the correct description but instead of grilling the chicken, threw them into a pot and cooked them.
  • ST1SSDV
    ST1SSDV Posts: 33
    Options
    Great looking pizza ! I like the Publix dough even though it can be a little challenging to roll out.
    A friend suggested aging the dough for a day as a solution, but I haven't tried that yet

I sprinkled a little corn meal on the stone just before putting the pizza on and it seem to help with the release. I tried to buy some dough from Mellow Mushroom, but they seemed to have a "no retail" policy.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Pizza dough is very easy to make from scratch with few ingredients. I now use beer instead of water when making the dough and allow a minimum of 36 hours to rise in the refridgerator to develop better dough flavor. Comes out fantastic every time.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you need to come to the publix on my side of town and try this sauce

101_0264-1.jpg

we had to special order it so if you can't find it at yours try mine :laugh:

looks great

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• rockytopsc
    Options
    I'll probably try for a little longer aging, this was laid out about 3 hours.
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    Havn't made time yet to make it from scratch, so we generally just use the Publix. Will have to make time!
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    I'll have to since you & Little Chef reccomended it.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Good looking pizza. Last week I bought a Publix dough, brought it home and put it in the fridge. By the next day it expanded in the bag a good bit. Still worked out great.

Firestarter21 highly recommended the Publix 5 grain pizza dough. I haven't seen it for sale yet so I asked the bakery. They said they would make it if I call ahead the next day. Can't wait to try it. Also want to butter or olive oil the crust, etc.

Pizza's are a lot of fun, easy to experiment, gets everyone involved.
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    I used the 5 grain the other day for a cook. It had a great flavor.