Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie question about Smoked meat

Options
Horn Dog
Horn Dog Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Can someone explain to me the following:
1) Do you just put on chips at the beginning of the cook?
2) When does the smoke more viable at getting in the meat?
3) My wife doesn't like a heavy smoked flavor how do I get around that?
I usually use Jack Daniels or Apple chips....about 2 handfulls at the beginning of the cook.
I cooked a Tenderloin that had a beautiful pink smoke ring...but my wife said it tasted a little too smokey![p]Help!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Horn Dog,
    If your wife doesn't like the smokey flavor, get a new wife! If that doesn't appeal to you, you will just have to use less smoke. Obviously, you shouldn't be using smoking chips if you want to reduce the amount of smoky flavor. Using fresh lump will impart a certain amount of smoke flavor to the meat. If even that is too much, you can try to use lump that is left over from prior cooks. You could burn some lump to cook steaks, and then just don't add any fresh lump the next time you cook at a lower temperature. Also, some lumps that are made from all scrap wood (Cowboy, Martha Stewart, Whole Foods) seem to have a little less smokiness to them. Good luck. You can always get a cheap gas grill for the wife.... [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Horn Dog,[p]According to some of our more or less scientific folk, meat stops accepting smoke flavor/color at approximately 140°. You will also find that most folks here choose chunks instead of chips for smoke flavor. I use unsoaked chunks. Enjoy![p]Jim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Horn Dog,
    TNW makes some great points. My wife also is not at all into a lot of smoke flavor. In fact ANY smoking materials other than the lump itself is too much for her.[p]Even with just lump, you can get too much smoke if your fire is not established. An established fire is KEY to reducing the smoke flavor. [p]Hope that helps! Our wives should get together. LOL.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Horn Dog:[p]I really like those JD chips for butts and ribs, but oak and hickory can be a bit strong. When cooking for those that are not too keen on smoke, I would stick to the fruit woods or pecan.
    [/b]