Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Marinating Question

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm so bummed. Last night I whipped up an adobo sauce and put half in a ziploc bag with some boneless pork chops and set the other half aside for a side sauce. Plan was to have them sit overnight and then Egg them up tonight. Just got to work and found out I won't make it home for supper tonight. Poker game + NCAA viewing (GO DUKE!)tomorrow night while wife out of town. Long story short - it doesn't look like the adobo chops will go on the Egg until Friday.[p]My question is this: Am I running the risk of ruining the meat by keeping it marinating for so long? I've read warnings about over-marinating. I forget the exact proportions I used, but I do know that the only acidity is a tablespoon of cider vinegar. I put some lime and orange juice in the non-marinade topping sauce, but the main ingredients in the marinade are ancho chiles, chicken stock, spices and that tablespoon of vinegar. Thoughts? Am I ok waiting until Friday or should I skip work tomorrow and stay home to eat pork for breakfast and lunch?[p]Thanks in advance.[p]'Bread

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    As long as the marinade is not too acidic, I don't see a problem with the extra time. My sister in law marinates her pork, then freezes it....and thaws before cooking. Not sure what her secret marinade is, but it always tastes great. So, that is an option for you. I have tried this with pork and it has worked well. With chicken, it does not work well.[p]cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornbread Willy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks. I thought about that, but the chops were frozen to begin with - don't want to refreeze them. I don't really have much choice, so I guess I'll just have to give them a try. Who knows, it might work out for the best.[p]By the way, #6 seed for the Twerps? I wish them the worst of course, but objectively speaking that seems a bit low. They're going to beat some people.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    Yeah, I prollly would not freeze them if they were already frozen. Stick em in the coldest part of your fridge, and you are probably in for a great meal.[p]The basketball seed gods were definitely looking after the national champs when they came up with the tourney placement. Not the team they were last year, but I will say.....FEAR THE TURTLE![p]LOL
    Beers mang.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I almost always let Pork sit for two days of Jerk. The Adobo Sauce should work the same way. In fact, you may find that the finished product comes out better than you expect.[p]Enjoy,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I have two tenderloins marinating, and I put them in the marinade last night. One is in a balsamic vinegar salad dressing. The other is rubbed with Grace jerk paste (a very spicey jerk paste, imported from Jamaica). I was planning to cook both tonight. Instead, I think I'll do the jerk one Friday (I have a class tomorrow night and I won't have time to cook). Woud three days in jerk marinade be too much for a tenderloin?[p]I highly recommend Grace for anyone who likes jerked meat.