Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin crusted ‘Hoggzza’

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had 5lb of pork loin leftover from the ‘Bombaflowerspinalone’, thing, I made the other day, & didn’t feel like hack’n up this half with my pitiful knife skills, so I fabricated a pizza crust out of 1/4 inch discs cut from the loin. Common sense (which I selectively ignore when cooking and may explain why I never have any arm hair) would dictate this be done on a flat sheet of some sort for easy post-cooking removal & cutting, but with a sheet on the bottom & the cheese & toppings on top acting like a gasket, there would be no way for the pork to absorb the smoke, then what would be the point? There is also the problem of shrinkage/curling up of the pork while cooking. 2 steps lead to the promise land of full issue resolution:

1) Fan the discs out on a pizza grid overlapping each slice to form one continuous & liquid-proof surface. Add a second grid on top with a little weight & cook 1/2 way.

2) Remove from egg, remove top grid & cover with foil, put back, flip, top, back to the egg till toppings are done.

Yes, I have been drinking again.

The meat preparation, cut, trimmed, pounded a little, fanned, oiled & rubbed:

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

Grid two added, indirect on the egg at about 400ish till the pork was about ½ done:

IMG_2734.jpg

About 10 minutes later:

IMG_2735.jpg

I flipped it & the seasoned top became the bottom ‘crust’, & applied the toppings & returned to the egg:

IMG_2736.jpg

Helmet cam view:

IMG_2738.jpg

After about 20 minutes total:

IMG_2740.jpg

The ‘crust’:

IMG_2752.jpg

Slices very well all things considered:

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

The wife called it ‘stupid-good’, I agreed. This may be a good way to get kids to eat nice lean pork with their veggies all in one place. To make it even more fun for kids, make Hoggzza-inos, which would be individual sized (single disc) mini pizzas, have the kids top with whatever they like, you can fit a few on each screen...
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments