Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nine Dollar T-Bone

Options
Nu-Guy
Nu-Guy Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Man, I haven't had a T-bone in years and after listening to you guys post the other day, I went to the butcher shop this morning a layed down $9.00 for one large T-bone. The wife is gone tonight so it was just Mr. Big and me. I followed NB's post and laid on the cracked pepper and threw it in the freezer for....only one hour. NB called for two hours but I couldn't wait. On the Mr. Big at 200 dome temp. After about 40 minutes I checked it out. Nuts, the wood chips weren't even smoking. I brought the temp up to about 240 and left it on for 20 minutes more. Took Mr. Cow off and cranked Egg Man to 700 degrees. Two minutes on each side and then shut him down for 6 minutes. Well, that would have been pretty good for me but, low a behold, my brother drops in...you guessed it. He pulled up a chair and said "What's up?"
Then tells me, please leave the cow on a few more minutes 'cause he don't want no red running on his part. So, I left it on for another 6 minutes. Must say, it was mighty fine cow meat! Guess tomorrow I will pull my temp probe and calibrate it cause when it showed 200, it wasn't even burning the wood chips.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nu-Guy,
    When you smoke/thaw your steak, you don't want the fire too hot. Once you have a small group of coals going, shove a handful of chips (I like chunks) right in the fire. Even if you have to move a couple of the top coals so you can out the wood right in the orange coals. Smoke will start right away.[p]Nothing like a T-bone. I akways think about that old Neil Young song off of the Reactor album. It goes:
    "got mashed potatoes, got mashed potatoes, got mashed potatoes......aint got no t-bone, aint got no t-bone"[p]Pretty deep.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nu-Guy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Ya, I gotta get some chunks. Maybe I smothered the coals with too many wood chips all at once. Do you soak your chunks?
    P.S. I order one of those German pepper grinders off one of the spice sites. Waiting for it to get here.
    NG

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nu-Guy,
    The chips will burn pretty quickly if not soaked. The chunks can go either way. I doubt you smothered the fire![p]Happy Pepper Grinding
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nu-Guy, Just curious...about the german peppermill?
    What site did you visit...I am in the market for one.
    CAguy

• Nu-Guy
    Options
    CAguy,
    Send me your e-mail address and I send you back the link. There was a couple different places where I found them, but one was five bucks cheaper for the same unit. I should be getting mine next week and then I can start grinding those tillicherrys that NB is always talking about. Ymmmm.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nu-Guy,[p]Just tossing in my $.02 for what its worth. I try to avoid 200 deg dome temp cook anyway I can. I have had the thermometer off 4-6 deg and at that low temp - it makes a huge difference (fire vs no fire). I try to make the lowest temp to cook at about 225, seems to be less likely to go out if a load of fat or grease drips down on the fire at that temp or above.
    As Ron Popeel (sp?) says, "It really cuts the fat" and when it drips on the fire it can put it out. Not to much to worry about with steak but ribs will do it real easily.[p]Enjoy the cow!![p]Tim

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nu-Guy,[p]NB is right about smothering the fire, but if you soaked your chips and tossed them into a 200 or less deg fire - you could put it out. Not smother it but reduce the heat needed for fire with the wet chips. Just a few goes a long way. Many post here about wet vs dry chips -- lets don't go there again.[p]Tim
  • Nu-Guy
    Options
    Tim M,
    I will take your $.02 worth and invest it! Every little bit I can take in will make me a better egger.
    Thanks!