Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crown Round of Pork

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions on how to cook an 8 1/5 pound Crown Round of Pork?

Comments

• b]Bill, By any chance are you referring to a crown loin pork roast? The one picture above came from Smithfield Ham's web site. I don't stuff mine when I cook them. They can be stuffed after they are cooked, but that is up to you. They do make a nice presentation on the dinner table.[p]As the name indicates, this roast is a loin cut. I have marinated them and used a rub and I have just used rub as well. The marinade doesn't tenderize as much as it adds flavor. I have cooked these using the low and slow method at 225ºF as well as the higher range of 275ºF. Once the roast hits an internal temperature of 145ºF, I take it off the grill and wrap in foil and let it rest for 15 minutes. [p]The roast will still continue to climb in temperature inside the foil. If the lower cooking temperature is used, this roast will usually climb another 5ºF and sometimes it will climb over 10ºF if the higher temperature is used.[p]Depending on your cooking temperature, an 8 pound roast will take 2.5 to 3.5 hours to cook. Once the roast is off the grill and wrapped, you can keep it in a dry cooler with some towels. The meat should stay good and warm if you have it cooked before the rest of your dinner is ready. These are very good eating and this is what I usually cook in place of ham as a part of our Thanksgiving dinner. [p]Lager,[p]JDB[/b]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Bill Wetterer,
    Veeeeerrrrrryyyyyyyy Carefully! If no one else chimes in, I'd cook it the same way you would in the oven.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JDB,
    Thanks a million for the advice. That is exactly what I am cooking and you have given me all of the information I need. Thanks again.[p]

• JDB,
    You are right those are excellant eating I have done them 2 times but have never done one on the grill. Next time I will try it outside instead of in the oven.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Bill Wetterer,
    We cooked two crown roast at Eggtoberfest 2001.I stuffed them with sausage,chopped apple,onion and mushrooms.Brown the sausage,onion,apple and mushroom first.Stuff roast and slather with mustard.It takes about three hours to cook.
    Larry

[ul][li]Crown Roast[/ul]