Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish Hens for Tomorrow

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had a request to make some Cornish game hens for lunch tomorrow (Christmas) and plan on cooking 10 of them on my large. Planning to go indirect over fire bricks and a drip pan ... 350 degrees. What can y'all recommend for rubbing, stuffng, brining, whatever to ensure these little critters are as tasty as the other stuff I'm making. BTW, I'm also doing some pork tenderloins and maybe a beef roast.

Y'all have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza, Festive Festivus ... or whatever you celebrate.

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The short answer is that they are little chickens, so anything you like on chicken will work just fine.

Here is a recipe that I really like.

Cornish Game Hens with Honey Pomegranate Marinade

1 cup fresh pomegranate juice (available in stores)
    1/2 cup honey plus 3 Tablespoons
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    6 cloves garlic, smashed
    3 game hens, split in half
    Salt and pepper
    Pomegranate seeds for garnish - I skipped this
    Chopped, roasted pistachio nuts for garnish - I skipped this also

Mix pomegranate juice, 1/2 cup honey, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Pour over Cornish game hens and marinate, covered, overnight or at least 8 hours in the refrigerator, turning occasionally.

Drain hens, reserving marinade. Simmer marinade, covered for 10 minutes; reserve.

Season hens with salt and pepper. Bake at 450 degrees F, basting frequently with reserved marinade, until hens are just firm to the touch, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven; let rest covered with a tea towel for 5 minutes. Brush each half with 1/2 tablespoon honey. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachios.

Comments: Be sure to brush them with the honey as this makes a big difference. I made a double portion of the marinade to be sure that the hens (2) were well covered.