Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow Duck

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the past two weeks, there have been some terrific pictures of low and slow spachcocked ducks posted along with the time, temps and techniques to achieve similar results. I have searched the board and the archives to no avail. Can someone point me in the right direction?[p]Thanks in advance, Mike

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mike_W,
    Oh, crikey! That's all Darryl needs is a little encouragement. Ok, everyone put on your "Duck Picture Goggles"! :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    I'm planning to do one some time this weekend. One of the local grocery chains (Giant) had fresh ducks this week, and I bought one.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    BluesnBBQ:[p] . . . Save the neck for Bill . . . (smilie thingie)
    [/b]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Mike_W,
    Here is a simple method; no "butterflying".
    1. Wash and dry the duck. Pierce it many times through the skin to the fat - not the meat - with a sharp knife or fork.
    2. Cut away the tail and other globs of overhanging, excess fat.
    3. Put into the cavity a quarted onion and a quartered orange after seasoning the inside with salt and pepper.
    4. Season the outside with salt and pepper and spray lightly with olive oil.
    5. Place in a V-rack over a drip pan.
    6. Cook (with or without smoke) at 225. for about 5 hours (breast temp at 170). The skin should be crispy with the fat drained into the drip pan. (its hard to overcook this in the Egg.
    7. Use 1-2 tblsp of the drippings, 3 tblsp sherry (or similar), 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup of your favorite dried fruit (cherries, apricots, oranges, whatever). Bring to a boil and reduce by half, season to taste (salt, pepper, sugar): a great sauce. But.... the duck won't need it. Enjoy!