Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Steak

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
"What's that?" You might well ask. It's a slice (about 1/2" from a Boston Butt, bone in.). We love 'em here in Missouri. Tonights Supper:[p]Pork Steaks[p]Ingredients:[p]Two (or more) bone-in pork steaks 1/2" thick
Seasonings to taste[p]Directions:
Stabilize the Egg at 325°
Put pork steaks on grid with grid extender and cook 1 1/2 hours, turning every 15 minutes
For the last 10 minutes, sauce (sticky like KC Masterpiece) and turn every 5 minutes
For the last 5 minutes, sauce, turn and dwell.[p]Goood Stuff![p]Kelly Keefe
Jefferson City, MO

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    I agree, I've been cooking the "Pork Steaks" for years...not realizing what they really were. They do cook up nice, and they are usually good no matter what you do with them. They have all the best parts of pork...bone, meat, and fat! Can you say FLAVOR?? BBQ sauce, smoked, grilled...they work! [p]As an alternative to regular butts, I've had my butcher cut regular pork butt's into about 1" thick chunks, and I have cooked these as a quick version of pulled pork. They cook up in about 8-12 hours instead of 18-22 hours. They have a great smoked flavor, and they take less time (a factor when the winter temps may have an influence) They may not be approved by the purist's out there....but, we have to make the do with what we have...[p]Mike in MN

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    I agree: definitely gooooooooooood stuff!
    Give this a try sometime. Bone the pork steak and sprinkle on a little of your favorite rub (or just salt & pepper). With a mallet, flatten to (at most) 1/4 inch. Run the Egg up to 600°, put the steaks on for 3 mins, turn for 3 mins. more. Serve and enjoy.
    Ken