Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison hinquarter

Options
Smokin' Todd
Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hindqtr.jpg

Fellow co-worker shot this last week and was very kind enough to donate this for me. He usually does this for stews and such, but what about roasting on the Egg? Sear then roast? Vice-versa? I havent had venison in like over 10 years and want to taste as much as venison as possible without all the dress-up.
Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
ST

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Talk about a let down!! I thought you had done one and wanted to know how! :pinch: Cleaned out the chest freezer yesterday and found one from last fall myself. Never done deer on the Egg and would like to hear others replys. Deer will dry out quick as it is lean all ready. Would think a sear and then low and slow but just thanking?!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Have done this a few times.

Venison, Ham, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1 1/2 Lbs Venison, Boneless Ham
    Italian Salad Dressing
    Garlic

Preparation
    1 Marinated overnight in Italian Salad Dressing. Took out 1 hour before cooking and sprinkled garlic powder over the meat.
    Cooking
    1 BGE 350°F indirect, handful cherry wood chips. Cooked 1 hour 10 minutes for 150°F internal. Let rest for 10 minutes..

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/04/30
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Well! :huh:

I've been called a horse's ass before -- but never a venison hindquarter!

:laugh: :ohmy: :laugh:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    ST:
    Here is an excellent marinade (below) that WILL NOT mask any of the venison flavor! But will help hold some moisture while adding a nice flavor to it. “belle’s dad” just used it and thought it was great…You might want to PING him for the low down.
    As for the roasting…A low & slow may not be your best bet for keeping it as moist as possible, no matter how well the Egg will do that.
    I will be the first to say that I’ve only done “back strap” as a roast on the Egg and I do them over Med. high heat 350 to 400 F. as to not dry them out with a longer cook. Somebody else may be able to chime in with a better idea here…But I’m really thinking along the 350 – 400 line would be the route to go here!
    With a roast the size you have there (looks to be a pretty good size) two ideas come to mind:
    First, the addition of a little oil, either olive pumas or canola (neither with a major flavor) could be incorporated into the marinade. I’ve had good success with that when marinating a lean pork cut.
    And a second thought: Of course you wouldn’t wrap the roast with bacon, as described below, nor would it be turned…But you could drape a few slices of thick cut atop the roast for a hint of flavor and a little fat for moisture!
    Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out for you!
    BTW, I’m envious of your roast!!

JB’s VENISON MARINADE
    North Portage Smoke-Shack

1/3 C. soy sauce
    1 t. onion powder
    1 t. garlic powder
    1 t. paprika
    1 t. ginger
    1/2 t. fresh ground pepper
    1 (12 oz.) Coke

1)) Place loin in a 2 gal zip-lock with the marinade. Coat well and place in the fridge. for at least 4 hrs. (Over night will be OK too) turning often.

2)) Remove the loin and wrap in bacon, held in place with tooth picks. Reserve the marinade, if you wish to cook it into an au jus.

3)) Place loin on a hot grill (350 to 400F) turning every ten minutes, cooking to your doneness.
    Rule of thumb: Temperature is the determining factor here not time, as the size of a loin will vary. I like to cook mine to about 160F or even a little less, medium rare to medium (medium being the 160F mark).

To make an Au Jus of the marinade:
    Place the marinade in a heavy sauce pan and bring to a hard boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until
  • I think you could pot roast it in a dutch oven. Normally, we have our venison done stew-style. (My fave is my husband's best friend's neck stew with vegetables. Cabbage, carrots, etc. Fantastic.) Venison is very lean, so I would be worried about dry roasting it a la beef.

This is a typical German recipe; buttermilk is used to tenderize the meat.
    I translate here and put the actual recipe below for those who sprechen Deutsch.

Serves 4 (not us...it would be 2)

1 Kilo (2.2lbs) venison from the haunch or shoulder
    1/2 litre (2 cups) buttermilk
    50 grams (2 oz) fatty bacon, cubed
    1 finely chopped onion
    One bunch of soup greens chopped (this would be celery or celery root, carrot, parsley, leek green)
    Salt, pepper, season salt mix (game seasoning)
    2 Bay leaves
    5 juniper berries (traditional with game, gets rid of the piny flavor--you can throw a bit of gin in or omit or get them from Penzeys)
    Half pound fresh small mushrooms (crimini would be good)
    1 Tbs tomato paste
    small container sour cream

Method:

Marinate meat in buttermilk overnight.
    Brown after drying with the bacon, then brown the soup veg and onion, toss in the bay leaf and seasoning but not mushroom and tomato or sour cream. Cook 40 min on indirect as for pot roast, then stir in mushrooms and cook another 30 min. Take out meat, keep warm. Stir in the tomato paste and then the sour cream and make a sauce (at this point I might puree some of the veg through a sieve but that's me.) Slice meat, serve with this sauce. Traditional is a blob of "Preiselbeeren" or lingonberry sauce, like cranberry sauce. Almost invariably served with this.

Zutaten:
    Für 4 Personen:
    1 kg Rehfleisch, aus der Keule oder aus der Schulter
    ½ l Buttermilch
    50 g durchwachsenen Speck, feingewürfelt
    1 Zwiebel, feingehackt
    1 Bund Suppengrün, feingeschnitten
    Salz, Pfeffer, Wildgewürz,
    2 Lorbeerblätter
    5 Wachholderbeeren
    250 g frische kleine Champignons
    1 Tl Tomatenmark
    1 Becher sauere Sahne

Die Zubereitung:

Als erstes muss der Rehbraten über Nacht in Buttermilch eingelegt werden. Vor der Zubereitung mit Haushaltspapier gut abtrocknen. Dann einen großen Topf aufheizen und die Speckwürfel darin anbraten. Dann den Rehbraten in dem Topf von allen Seiten schön braun anbraten. Anschließend mit Salz, Pfeffer und Wildgewürz bestreuen. Die Zwiebelnzugeben. hell anrösten, dann das Suppengrün unterrühren und etwas schmoren lassen. Die Lorbeerblätter und die Wachholderbeeren zugeben. Jetzt den Rehbraten ca. 40 Minuten im geschlossenen Topf garen lassen. Danach den Rehbraten wenden und die Pilze hinzugeben und wieder ca. 30 Minuten weiter garen. Nach der Garzeit den Rehbraten aus dem Topf nehmen und warm stellen. Tomatenmark unter die Soße rühren. Die Soße kurz aufkochen lassen und pikant abschmecken. Zum Schluss die saure Sahne unterziehen. Den Rehbraten aufschneiden, die Soße drüber gießen und Servieren.

Beilagen Tipp
  • No Yolk
    Options
    I just did one last week, I just put it on at 350 for about 3hrs.,just plain with a little apple wood for flavor. It turned out great.