Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Tri-Tip

Options
Bigbawb
Bigbawb Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are the times/temps and method I should use for a tri-tip? I never saw one before -started carrying them at the local SAM'S so I thought I "TRI" one! Bigbawb

Comments

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Bigbawb,[p]Rub tri tip with garlic cloves or sprinkle with garlic powder. Then sprinkle with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. [p]Place on grill at bout 350 dregees when you see the juice puddleing on top flip it with tongs. When the juice again puddles on top of the meat flip a second time. When the juice puddles the third time it is done. Slice it on the angle about 15 deree angle. sever with pinto beans and salza. With grilled garlic/buttered bread from french style bread.[p]That is the way most of the folks in Santa Maria California where it was invented do it but they do it over open grills.[p]I would lift the lid on the egg every 20 minutes to peek. [p]It is the Bomb.
    Elder Ward

• Elder Ward,
    Do you just use lump, or do you reccomend any kind of wood for smoke with tri-tip? I will be looking at Sam's for one of these this week.

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    I am a Mesquite guy myself but traditionally it is done on California Red Oak. It does make a big difference in flavor but my mesquite will give it a run for the money.[p]Elder Ward