Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Larry's Famous Beans - Done and Ready to Eat

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
larry%27s-famous-beans-done.jpg
<p />Yummmm![p]QBabe
:~)

Comments

• Humpty
    Humpty Posts: 27
    Options
    QBabe,
    The beans look delicious. But, I have a question that has bothered me since I purchased my BGE a couple of months ago. And my question concerns the benefits of cooking in a pot on the egg. I have experienced the added flavor and great texture of meats on the grill but just don't know what to expect when cooking a pot of beans or something similar. Do you have a recepie for Larry's beans you can share?[p]Humpty

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Humpty,[p]My only explanation for cooking things in a pot on the egg is the sheer fun I get out of doing it. It gets me outside in the fresh air, and reminds me of camping. Kind of a euphoric thing...[p]As far as the beans go, Larry usually just combines a bunch of things we have around the house, so they're never quite the same.[p]2-3 strips of bacon
    an chopped onion
    some chopped green pepper, maybe 1/2
    a ton of minced garlic
    1-2 tbsp brown sugar
    a few shakes worchestershire sauce
    1 can Bush Onion Flavored beans
    1 can B& M beans[p]Saute bacon, remove & break up into smaller pieces. In bacon drippings, saute chopped onion, pepper, and garlic. Add brown sugar & worchestershire. When tender, add beans and cook for 30-45 minutes. [p]Enjoy,
    Tonia
    :~)[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Humpty,
    Most of my recent cooks on the BGE have been in a Cast Iron Dutch oven on an inverted platesetter. There is a great flavor added to the meal that cannot be obtained on a stove. Think of it as cooking something on a hearth or over a campfire. [p]One of the other benefits is time. If I have to go some where over a long cook, like a bean dish, I know that it will cook fine on the egg without me being there. If it were on the stove, I would have to shut off the flame.[p]It is important to note that I do not use a cover on the pot Dutch oven when I Egg it. That way all of the wonderful smoke is soaked up by what ever I am cooking.[p]If you have not done so already, take a look at the submitted recipes. There are many recipes for beans and even one that I put out there for Cajun Dirty Rice.[p]This of course will lead to the next question … why do we use the BGE for Baking? You have to give this a try next.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk