Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt - fatside up or down

Harry
Harry Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm drawing a blank - and couldn't find this on a search. I haven't donethis in a few years

Does the fat side go up or down on the grill?

Thanks,
Harry

Comments

• Harry
    Harry Posts: 58
    Perfect - great article.
    Thanks.
  • I am not an eggspert but an egg novice. However, a local egger, which is the reason I am now one, is an official BBQ judge and goes everywhere judging. He told me last week to put the fat on the top side and let it, fat, go thru the meat. He says it is "the bomb" and he also has the gut to prove it. for what it is worth.

Rick
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Nice theory, but the fat is not going to trickle down through the meat, but rather down and around the sides.

Me personally, I trim most of the external fat - but only out of my own personal preference. I prefer more bark mixed into my pulled pork.

And if guts are a true indicator, my BBQ must be fairly tasty too. :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Fat does NOT and I repeat does NOT penetrate the meat. It flows over the top and down the sides.

Course I got my information from several well known and certified CHEFs :) Including one that hangs out here..
  • My 2 cents, always down. It helps the meat against the heat, when it mealts, it goes to the drip pan, and you get a great bark on the top where it belongs. I love a good bark and it just doesn't happen as well at the bottom as a lot of that flavor will cook off with the fat melting and washing things off as it comes down the side of the meat.

Fat cap up does not make the meay more juicy. The fat does not seep into the meat. Whatever is left is cut off.

I do brisket fat cap down as well.

So, it's like the Hatfields and the McCoys, there will never be a deciding answer, it's all just personal preference.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fat doesn't seep through, and smoke doesn't penetrate...

lot of die-hard myths with barbecue, but it all turns out great either way, i think
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I'm with Fidel. Cut the cap off and toss it on the other egg for the dogs then cook the butt on either side.
  • I am the first to tell ya....All I know is from you all. My mentor, the judge I mentioned, said this to me last week. Most of my cooks have been eggceptional...still learning and a wife undergoing chemo and has a taste of &*(^ currently. I thank all of you for your help. I am NOT trying to start controverey

Rick