Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing my first boston butt. Quick question...

Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
does it need any type of seasoning beforehand, or should I simply throw it on there? Also, I plan on chopping it up instead of slicing it for sandwiches. Does either style taste better, or is it simply a matter of personal preference (I'm asking mainly because, when chopping, you need to cook it longer).

Thanks.

Comments

• Roanokesmoke,

Most apply a rub and some use a mustard coating. Elder Ward's method in recipes works really well and it has a good tutorial. Good luck.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Pork taste good pulled, chopped or sliced. No real difference.

You don't need to put anything on it. I saw a 1st Place Pork in a competition with just Salt and Pepper.

It is a matter of choice.

Pulled Pork
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    If I have time I rub my butt (no comments) with yellow mustard and sprinkle Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust and coat liberally. I cover this with saran wrap and put in the fridge until I am ready to start the fire. I try to let the butt sit for 12-24 hours.

If I do not have time i just coat with mustard & DPDD and put on the BGE when the temp is holding steady at 250 degrees dome temp. I use pecan, cherry or apple wood for smoke.

I let my butt get to 190-200 degrees double wrap in HDAF and wrap in a towel for 2 hours. I always pull my butt just because I prefer it that way....

Good luck...........
  • why wrap it up for 2 hours or so? I've read this before but I'm not sure why its recommended that you do so before eating.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Now you don't really think there won't be comments do you?
  • Celtic Wolf
    It doesn't NEED to be wrapped and held for 2 hours.

However like all cooked meat it should be allowed to rest.

It just lets the juice settle in the meat.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Wrapping it for 2 -3 hours help the meat & juices redistribute...heck you can pull it or slice it right away...all these are are guidelines...no rules....just don't peek while cooking it for 16-20 hours.... :P
  • well its only a 3 lb one so I assume it will only take 6 hours or so (perhaps a bit longer?) If all goes well, my next one will be much bigger.
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Letting the meat rest will redistribute the juices. As you cook it the muscle contracts and forces the juice out as it cools it relaxes and allows the juices back in.
  • For slicing or chopping I pull the butt at lower internal meat temps about 145°. Pulled - 195° - 200°.

Like Kim's post above I too season, wrap & refrigerate, hopefully over night. I re season before cooking. There is a huge difference with the overnight process in most meats & fowl.

GG