Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, TIME FOR A MAD MAX TURKEY ROLL CALL

Comments

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Max-I'm dying to do some of the "Egg events". Only problem is my kid's events. My son's a senior in HS and plays year round sports-Spring track that time of year. Plus, my daughter graduates from college (near Zippyville :laugh: ) in May. Next fall, when my son goes off to college, I'm morphing into major goof off mode :woohoo: . I'll be touring Egg events nationwide!

Brian
  • nice job!!. ..say hi to the girls for me!!... glad to hear you are hockey fans. . .the spawn and her brother were at the caps game wednesday night watching them thrash the thrashers!!. .. i'll be there tonight with the spawn watching them play the canadiens!!! oughta be a great game .

is your local team in the AHL?? if so, keep an eye out when the hershey bears come to town. .thats our minor league hockey team for the caps. . .lots of great talent there ...
  • Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    I did a Modified Mad Max for our turkey (the modification was of necessity. If you stick with the full version below the reason will be obvious :)

Exeutive Summary: 13 lb. Bell and Evans, brined and then cooked Mad Max style. Very moist and flavorful! Everyone loved it.

Full version: Pull up a stump and gather 'round the fire and let me tell you about my Thanksgiving.

It started out like any other Thanksgiving day. The bird was lounging in a nice Brine, the ham was in the cooler and the Eggs were loaded and lit. (sidenote: I cooked in all three Eggs at the same time for the first time ever). Anyway... Once the Eggs lit I took the bird out of the brine and got it ready to go. Then I took the ham out of the cooler and put it into a foil roasting pan and grabbed my paring knife to score the skin. You remember the paring knife, don't you. Small, sharp, with a sharp point? Do you have an image of it in your mind? Hold on to that image.

So... I start at the top of the ham and gently slice into the ham skin and slide the knife down. As the knife gets close to the bottom of the ham the butt of the knife handle hits the edge of the roasting pan and the knife is knocked out of my hand. After a couple of seconds I realized that I didn't hear the knife it the floor. That's generally not a good sign. I looked down saw the paring knife sticking straight up from the big toe of my left foot!

My first thought was "That's going to hurt in a few seconds!" My second thought was "Damn. The camera is in the family room. No one will believe this! I reached down and pulled the knife out and headed to the bathroom, leaving a trial of blood toe prints across my wife's clean tile . I called my wife to help and she bandaged up the toe. It was bleeding quite a bit but I HAD to get the bird and ham into the Eggs so she put Glad Press-n-Seal plastic wrap over the gauze to keep the blood from getting all over. So, being the BBQ trooper that I am, I put on some sandals and finished prepping the turkey and ham and put them into the Egg. After that my wife check my toe and it was still bleeding so she re-wrapped it and had me sit with my foot up for a bit.

I could only sit for a few minutes because it was time to start the stuffing and twice-baked potato casserole, the Bacon wrapped meat Balls etc. Finally, after two more dressing changes it was still bleeding so my wife, mother and two SILs ganged up on me and made me to go the emergency room. My daughter took over the rest of the dinner while i was gone.

At the emergency room the young lady who took my info asked me what happened. When I described it to her she asked "Did you take a picture of it?"! The doctor looked it over and decided that it would be tough to stitch because most of the wound was on the inside of the big toe, so she glued it shut and wrapped it and gave me a tetanus shot. I made it home to finish off the gravy (Not the Mad Max gravy, but home made at least) and carve the bird and ham and eat with the family!
  • thats a great story ... glad you had your priorities right and put the turkey before the toe!!! and glad you are ok as well!!
  • glad it worked out well for you. . .sure you can always add some extra liquid to the pan to avoid scorchng.. . .applejuice/wine/stock ...its all good ....
  • looks like the boy did you proud jay!!!....thats a great looking bird....
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    The Gwinnett Gladiators are in the South Division of the ECHL. It's "AA" level hockey, but the guys really mix it up. I got 5 tickets in the eighth row for $50 bucks, it's free parking, and it's 20 minutes from my home. As much as I might enjoy seeing the Thrashers (despite their poor play) there's no comparison in terms of time and money commitments.

Roudy
  • ah, ok, echl... i think the caps own the myrtle beach team. ..we've sent some of our prospects down there. ...hey, hockey is hockey, and a cheap ticket is great ....

i've been to a couple of thrashers games when i was down in atlanta on business a few years ago ....they put on a pretty good show in phillips arena and the seating is very good for hockey, particularly behind the nets, you are very close to action for not too bad a price (seems to me i was able to get seats behind the goals for around 35 bucks per seat - not bad for the NHL) ....
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    You can add my name to the list. The MM turkey is my preferred way to cook turkey now. I haven't taken any pics of our bird yet and probley wont bore eveyone with a worn out devoured carcass, but I can attest, when we were eating, it was definately "poultry in motion". Thanks Max!
  • thanks todd!. .and thanks for all the kind words. ..you and your gang are pretty damn special too. ...and it was great talking to you too yesterday!!. ...
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I posted a few pictures in another thread, but will repeat my final picture here:

DSC04364.jpg

We cooked it Wednesday to about 95% done since I don't have a lot of BGE experience yet and was afraid dinner would be delayed if I miscalculated. We reheated it Thursday for eating. I won't do this again, because reheating it properly was very difficult. Next year I'll have more experience and will start it earlier in the day to be sure. If it is done early, we'll put it in a cooler.

Thanks for your recipe - it was still a very good bird.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Mad Max is a genius. Following the Mad Max recipe I cooked the best turkey ever. Moist, tender and delicious. But the real prize goes to the gravy. Absolutely fantastic is the only way to describe it. Even my brother and his wife said it was the best they had, and we usually disagree about everything. Thanks goes out to Mad Max for his inspiration and direction.
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    My first MMT was great. Everyone agreed that it was the best gravy ever. Took a little longer than I had planned to get up to temp, so there was a little stress at the end when everyone was waiting, but well worth it. Can't wait to have some leftovers today and enjoy them in relaxation!

Thanks Max!!!!
    -Herm
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Thanks, Max. I didn't cook it in the pan. I scraped the good stuff I could and used a separate sauce pan.

On the consistency, I was a little concerned about adding stock after the gravy had been sitting off the burner for a few minutes. I thought about it, but since the taste wasn't where I wanted it, We just bailed.

It'll work next time.
  • Hey Max,
    Like we talked about yesterday, first egged turkey in 5 years, first MM turkey ever. Great, just great. I had to keep adding butter to the pan though. Almost a lb total, but it turned out great.

Mike
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Mine was good, even after it sat in the cooler for 6 hours after it came off the Egg. The turkey seems fattery than most I have had, Overall not dry or over cooked, since it was my second stop for the day it was all relax time.
  • No pictures (too busy cooking / eating), but a GREAT MM turkey and unbelievable gravy!!! Thanks for the help, Max.

Also, made a slight variation of your Italian stuffing, best I ever made - it's also a keeper! I'll post my "tweaks" in a different thread.

Thanks, Max!!!!
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    426121939_MT489-S.jpg

Did a Mad Max-ish bird this year - larded the breast with compound butter and cooked it at 500°F for 20 minutes and then 350°F until done. Very nice - juicy bird, crispy skin, great gravy.

Wasn't planning to cook this year, but a friend of ours just had surgery, so we invited her and her family over to have dinner with us. A good time was had by all.

Many thanks again to Mad Max and the Whiz!
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • We did a MM bird (our first)this year to rave reviews from the guests.
    Thanks Max!
    Al
  • Count me among the MMT devotees. How did it turn out? Look:

DSC01181.jpg

I used alder and peach wood for smoke, basting every 20 minutes inside and out. My wife said it was even better than last year's, and she raved about that.

Thanks for all you do, Max.
  • Big E
    Big E Posts: 51
    This was my first MM turkey or first egged turkey for that matter and what a turnout. At our get together we had a MM, smoked & the traditional birds. The MM was a huge hit with all. Thanks Max for all the great tips & advice. Since it was a smaller bird I wish it was a little higher in the dome for a better color.
  • glad it turned out good... if you want it higher in the dome and its a small bird, next time see how it fits with platesetter feet up and the grid on the plate setter, and your pan on top of the grid ...
  • that is a great looking bird ...fantastic color. . .glad it turned out good for you!!
  • your welcome .. . glad it all worked out for you!!
  • great looking bird dave... . never tried the high temp start, but sure sounds and looks good!!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Count me as a happy cooker. Great talking with ya Max. Doing a 2'nd MM bird for my neighbor tomorrow.
  • glad it all worked out for you and the wife was happy!!!! cause a happy wife makes for a happy husband!!
  • good stuff, glad it all worked out for you too!!
  • dats a great looking bird too!!!. .way to go...
  • it was good talkign to you yesterday mikey!!!!. ..glad the bird turned out well. ..not sure why you needed so much butter, but what the hell, butter=good!!!