Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip from lower vent?

Options
NJKel
NJKel Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang -

I had my turkey for the day at my in-laws, but put a 9.5 lb packer brisket on this afternoon :)

I am seeing some condensation (I think?) forming near the lower draft door though. (Runs down the track that the door slides inside, then to the ground.) The temperature here is around 32 degrees and my grate temperature is 215. I'm using a Stoker if that matters to anyone.

I've never seen the dripping condensation before - any ideas? It doesn't seem to be drippings from the meat. It's not oily.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Did your egg get wet?
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    I get condensation alot in the colder temperatures. Usually during a big( 4 or 5 butts) low and slow. usually see it at the top vent, but sometimes the bottom also.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Haven’t done ANY cold weather cooking yet….But I did have substantial condensation / water dripping from the lower vent situation on my first cook back in early May.
    I had a wet Egg with parts (all of it really, but the fire box and ring were setting in the rain for about two days) being rained on while I was in the process of assembling the thing. Got caught in a wet spell and didn’t think much about covering anything :ohmy: !
    Haven’t had a problem since….But the next cook is to smoke some venison jerky with the day time temps. forecast in the twenties. So, thanks for the heads up Dad, I guess I won’t be alarmed if it happens this go-round or later (when it’s cold) this winter.
  • NJKel
    NJKel Posts: 13
    Options
    Yep, there is a tiny amount of condensation around the daisy wheel too. I usually run the temp about 10 degrees hotter too.

I cover up my egg when it's not in use, so I don't think I'm baking any moisture out of it.
  • Egg And I
    Options
    I see it in cold weather, had it a few days ago with a 12-14 hour brisket cook. I think it's moisture evaporating from the meat and condensing on the daisy and draft door. Since the egg temps are low, and the outside temp is really low, those parts get cold enough to condense the water vapor.

My egg is also covered so it's not from rain/snow.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    That happens to me quit often and I attribute it to the high moisture conditions present in the egg. A big chunk of meat cooked low and slow and it is like a sauna inside the egg. I wouldn't worry, it is just a result of ceramic cooking and why food comes out so delicious!