Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What type wine for turkey?

Options
safetyman
safetyman Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Reading Mad Max's recipe, he says to use white wine. What brand/type of white wine should I use. I don't know much about wines, white wine could be from a rhine wine to a sweet one or Boones Farm Apple. I am going to give the famous Mad Max turkey a try tomorrow. Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving to all you Eggheads.

Comments

• BoneDaddy's
    Options
    I am going with a Chardoney (sp)...the cool looking one from Australia with the Kangaroo on it. As you can tell, I know nothing about wine!

I actually am curious what he meant by White also...
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • chardonnay will be fine but why not just ask max??
    bill
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I agree with bill, I think the hotline is open. I just use an inexpensive bottle of chardonnay. The one with the Kangaroo will be fine. I'm going to try stuffing a 14 and a 20 pounder on the XL tomorrow. Might be a tight squeeze.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    pretty much any old white will do ... .only rule of thumb is that it be drinkable. .. . i.e. don't use the 'cooking wine' from the grocery shelf where the vinegars are. . .. .i buy the cheap stuff. ... this year its a 5 buck bottle of something called "turning leaf chardonay" from harris teeter. ..last year it was "2 buck chuck" from trader joes ...couple of years its been the australian stuff with the kangaroo. ..but i've used chardonay, i've used pinot grigio (sp?). . its all good. ...don't over think this one :)
  • Egg And I
    Options
    Max, those aren't bad wines...we like to find inexpensive (OK, cheap) but good value wines to drink and cook with...turning leaf chard and cab are good value as is the 2-buck-chuck white stuff.

Thanks for all you do here, and find some time to enjoy YOUR holiday (yeah, I know you enjoy helping others, too!)
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I used a Gewurztraminer on my test turkey, and it was wonderful. Just a little fruitier than a chardonnay, and it showed up.

It was no big decision, we belong to some wine clubs where they send us their pick of the month. We're not big on the German style whites to drink, so they sit on the shelf until there's a recipe I think they'll work in. Gewurztraminer or a dry Reisling would be a great choice, if you can find one cheap or have one sitting around gathering dust.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    I'm the same way Jeff. I get wine shipped in from www.wineexpress.com and try new wines this way. I live in Okla. and they are not supposed to ship here, but they get around this shipping law some way, so I've been using these guys for years and have'nt been busted yet...lol. I buy the daily special that sounds good and ships for .99 per btle. Have several Reislings and German whites I will choose from for my MMT.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,845
    Options
    whatever your drinking that morning will work fine, yes i will be drinking before the bird gets some wine. white makes for a more traditional gravey, red makes purple gravey, i like it either way but will stick with the white as some seem to have problems with the purple gravey. chardanay works fine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Options
    A good quality white wine will work. Remember, you will probably be drinking most of this while you are waiting on the bird to finish. If you live in Michigan, look for the Fenn Valley label. Great wine.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Yellow Tail..

Which reminds me I need to go find me a bottle..
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    mad max makes a very good point in regard to not cooking with anything you wouldn’t drink!
    And, in regard to over thinking too.
    A good solution to that problem is to buy some good wine (if you are really in the dark here :unsure: , ask the sales person to recommend some thing) and drink a bunch of it. This will tone down :P the thinking process and the second guessing the types and brands.
    Happy Thanksiving!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You know I have never heard Julia Childs or Justin Wilson say what kind of Wine they poured into their food, but they both sure drank a lot of what they cooked with.

:woohoo:
  • SoDakEgger
    Options
    The best advice is to taste it. If you think it is going to taste funny in the gravy or on the bird, it probably will.

Use a pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc (aka fume blanc) or an UNoaked chardonnay.

Personally, I prefer a little less wine in the gravy. (Yet another situation where I'll be damned if a little judgment and discretion with the use of alcohol doesn't pay off.) A whole bunch of wine in the gravy makes it a little sweet for my tastes. Besides, less wine in the gravy makes for more wine in the chef.

With the bird? It's got to be red. Zinfandel, pinot noir or a nice meritage usually does quite nicely.