Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HEY ITS WOOSDAY - HOW ABOUT TURKEY"S PAST

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i haven't started a woosday in a long time, so how about i tease you with a gallery of past mad max turkeys in anticipation of this week's efforts!!

eggtoberfest08032.jpg

here's a mad max turkey breast

eggtoberfest08031.jpg

and some whole turkeys from past years

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

DSCN0667-1.jpg

DSCN1514.jpg

i think this was my first official mad max bird

DSCN0662.jpg

DSCN0669.jpg

ENJOY

IMG_0572.jpg

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Here are a couple from a year or two ago.

Turkey.jpg

Turkey2.jpg
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Max when was the MMT born?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    turkeybd2-1.jpg
    just this summer :) I used a bunt pan as a vertical roaster ;)
    stuffedthighs.jpg
    boneless, stuffed thighs
    rolledandsmoked.jpg
    stuffed thighs sliced open :) these were very good
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03628.jpg

Good idea Max,

Nothing like getting the 'ol taste buds going....Turkey.gif

DSC03717a.jpg

DSC04151a.jpg

DSC02863a.jpg

85d75517.jpg

DSC04155a.jpg

DSC06169JPGa.jpg

DSC02871a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Just a breast. In case you couldn't tell.

IMG_2558800x600.jpg
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Hey Max, your turkeys and recipes are fantastic! It's a lota fun to read and see the excitment surrounding Thanksgiving with all the cooking going on using eggs. The BGE logo says it all.
    Have fun Max! :woohoo:

I think this is my first egged turkey,
    IMG_0163.jpg
    Mini with brined turkey thighs,
    BGETurkeythighs007.jpg
    This was a 'right side up' turkey roast eggsperament,
    IMG_1352.jpg
    Corned turkey breast for corned turkey Reuben samitches,
    BGECornedTurkey004.jpg
    This Thanksgiving its been smoked turkey drumsticks,
    BGETurkeyDrumsticks0014.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    turbo_turkey.jpg

just one photo.... from a couple months ago
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    the MMT was born on the naked whiz's site in 2004 . ..i have been roasting turkeys in the oven since i first got married back in 1982 and we started hosting thanksgiving at our house that year i think. . .developed my technique from lessons learned mostly from my mom and my wife's elderly aunt elsie (an old virginia cook that gave me that great old roasting pan you always see in the pics). ...the technique developed over the course of the years with the final touch of the ice bags coming along about 20 years ago now). .. the MMT really happened one day because so many people were asking individual questions about one aspect or another about roasting a turkey in the egg and i got so tired of seeing and/or responding to individual questions, that i finally sat down and wrote an entire response of how to do from beginning to end. ..i think that was prior to thanksgiving 2003. ...the whiz then invited me to put together the pictorial to put on his site. ...so the the spawn and i did up a turkey and gravy taking all the pictures that we then sent to the whiz, along with the words, and he put together the great pictorial that you now see on his site. ... last year we added the tips sections. .. .at some point we plan to add video. .. hopefully by next year. .. .the goal is to keep improving the site and make it even more informative and user friendly. ..
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i love those!!!! i stuff them with pancetta/shrooms/mixture yummy!!!!

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I don't have a single pic of a finished turkey, found this shot of my grand daughter and I cooking a couple of de-constructed turkeys a couple Thanksgivings ago. -RP

thanksgiving.jpg
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i love these things while watching football!! .. .simply brush em with butter, dust em with your favorite rub (in my case dizzy shaking the tree or tsanami spin, or now some of fred's mellow yellow) and a maybe a brush of bbq sauce at the end....roasted for about an hour indirect at 350 with a nice chunk of pecan on the small with chubby's grate mates ... . doesn't get much better than this!!!

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    IMG_5517.jpg
    IMG_5519.jpg
    I love this shot.... :P
    BGEThanksgiving06011.jpg
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    Good idea for Woosday Max. Here are some of my Mad Max turkey efforts:
    DSCN0942.jpg
    DSCN0941.jpg
    And don't forget the homemade pumpkin pie! I bought two sugar pumpkins last week, and I'm looking forward to Eggin' a pie:
    BGE-2.jpg
  • ViennaJack
    Options
    PICT0100.jpg

Last year with a then-one month old LBGE and brand new Stoker.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Is that a bear I see in the treeline? :ohmy:

Great looking bird..

.o0(I really need to get a decent Camera)
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    could be.

Actually, my neighbors cut down alllll of the trees on the property behind their house so we won't be seeing any more bears (or eagles) in the back yard anymore. :(
  • Smokin' Wolverine
    Options
    first is the whole bird and second is two stuffed turkey breasts, have a fantastic Thanksgiving to y'all down there from all of us Canadian Eggheads
    Thanksgiving2007024.jpgDSC02993.jpg
  • SoDakEgger
    Options
    Max, a word of thanks to you for taking the time to put together a great set of instructions. I used them last year to make my first MMT. Last year was my first Thanksgiving with the egg and the first time I had done a cook that took that long. I don't think I would have ventured a turkey on the egg last year had it not been for your instructions and advice.

I have since done a number of butts, a brisket, and many other cooks and have developed a "feel" for cooking on the egg. As we all know, it takes a little time to get used to temperature adjustments, set ups, and learning to just trust the darn thing to do what it is designed to do.

This year I will make some adjustments and incorporate the dry brining ideas that are in this year's Thanksgiving editions of Bon Appetite, etc. and that have been discussed here on the forum.

I will post some photos.

Your instructions on the TNW site are an invaluable resource. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort. And, Happy Thanksgiving.