Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

off topic - - wine refrigerator

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 780
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
need some advice here - i have limited or no knowledge

i am thinking of buying my son-in-law a "wine refrigerator for christmas - what is your thinking? - are these refrigerators practical? - what size should i consider? - what brand/make should i shop?

thanks so much

rdeal
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    We've had one for several years.

It's not big enough for all of our wine, but the very best bottles get the best storage. I'm at work and relying on my memory (oh, NO!) but I think ours holds about 24 bottles of red and 8 bottles of white. The white shelves are the ones at the bottom, near the coils.

Don't remember the brand. We just happened to catch it on sale at Home Despot several years ago. It makes less noise than a "real" refrigerator and the temp stays within 2 or 3 degrees of target all the time.

No matter what size you choose, a true wineaux will appreciate the gift. Get the one that fits your gift budget. Too much wine storage is sort of like too much money in the bank...it just isn't possible. :woohoo:
  • Bama Chad
    Options
    I have a simple, generic, 16 bottle capacity cooler our neighbors gave us last year for x-mas. Works great, very quiet & doesn't take up too much space. Nothing fancy but does the trick just fine. Any wine enthusiast will enjoy...
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Mine doesn't cool anything, but I made this completely with horse shoes. -RP

winerack.jpg
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That is really neat Randy. You should market those in AZ, I would think it would sell quite well.
    How is the housing market in Tuscon right now. I'm just wondering some very good friends of ours are going to Tuscon 1st week in Dec. to look for a home. Didn't know if you're up on what's going on. BTW they are big hot tub freaks, use theirs in Milwaukee all the time.
  • JimS
    JimS Posts: 78
    Options
    I have a 34 bottle from Home depot. I try to keep my more expensive vintage wine in the cooler for special occasions and/or special meals but save a place for my cheaper wine in the bottom(1.5 litre) so I will stay out of the good stuff. Had it for 8 years and love it .If I was going to buy again I would get the side by side that has dual controls. White in one side at the white temp and the red in the other side. Home depot had it at one time for $350. I Think your son in law would like that.
  • JimS
    JimS Posts: 78
    Options
    Sorry about that i put my ans. to you under AZRP"s thread . look there for it. Jim
  • Eggscaper
    Options
    It would be best if you got a dual zone. That way he could chill both the reds and whites at their right temps. Lowes and Home Depot both have them. i think i might have saw it at Sam's club also

Good luck
    Doug
    Dallas,Ga
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSC_0002-10.jpg
    I got this one at Home Depot Two years ago We really like it