Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Smoking a Turkey

ckcgnfshnckcgnfshn Posts: 21
edited 12:55AM in EggHead Forum
Ok, I need some help. I have never smoked a full bird. I am planning to do one for Thanksgiving. I need any suggestions. What temp do I cook it to and is there a way to keep it from over cooking. Do you stuff the bird too.

Thanks

Comments

• go to the recipe section of the site for info about the particulars. good luck
  • here's everything you need to know about cooking a turkey in your egg. .. .

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxcentral/madmaxcentral.htm
  • The MadMax recipe is probably eggcellent but here is the lazy man's way...

I have a medium egg and have cooked 2 turkeys that came out fantastic. Slather the bird with butter and some sage. Cook at 375 dome temp for slightly over 2 hours for a 12 lb turkey until thighs hit 180 degrees. They both were very juicy and delicious! I know it is simplistic but really can't imagine how it could have been any better. Next time I am going to ice down the breast for 20 minutes before cooking but that will be the only change I will commit to. Remember the egg cooks like a convection oven so they cooking time will probably be less then what the package states.
  • Thanks for your help....