Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some venison prep help..

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a venison roast I hope to smoke this weekend. What I'm looking for is suggestions on preparing the roast for smoking. I'm not sure if I should soak in a marinade... What spices might be good, etc. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated..
Thanks,
Tim

Comments

• If it is a boneless roast, I cook them like a london broil.
    Make a marinade of;
    1 cup vegatable oil
    1/2 cup dijon mustard
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1/8 cop wooster (not gonna try)
    Marinage overnight if possible. Cook to mr (approx. 125) then let it rest for a bit before slicing.
    After taking the meat out of the marinade, pour off all the oil that separates then bring the rest to a boil to cook the meat juices in it. Then serve over the meat as gravy.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i have been trying to find a recipe i did a while back. it was a venison tenderloin with a black currant SAUCE. not marinade.

you're going to encounter a ton of recipes out there that talk about marinating to cover up a 'gamey' taste. i dunno. for one thing, i like venison. even wild. wild can vary depending on the diet, but i have no interest in trying or hoping to make it taste like beef.

if your venison is farmed, it won't be as potentially varying in flavor as wild, but it will be different in taste.

but i think the strategy is to appreciate the flavor, and maybe sauce it at most.

if i can turn up the recipe any time soon, i'll post it. i thought i had it on my 'puter, nut i might have just printed it offa the web.

but if it's worth anything, i vote to simply season (salt/pepper/garlic/etc.) and roast it, and augment it with a red wine/berry sauce. there are a lot of them out there, but again, i did a sauce with currant (jelly) and it was fabulous without hiding the meat.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well... can't find it.

it was predominantly red wine reduction, black currant jelly (decent couple stew-spoonfuls), whole peppercorn, sage, rosemary, etc. I'm going to have to make it up i think. but here are a couple from each end of the spectrum

this one is a bit more involved, ingredient-wise;

Uncle Buck's Currant Jelly Sauce

• 1/2 cup cider vinegar
    • 1 1/2 cups water
    • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- to taste
    • 1 teaspoon paprika -- Hungarian
    • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1 tablespoon black pepper -- freshly ground
    • juice of 1/2 lemon
    • 1 medium onion -- coarsely chopped
    • 1 clove garlic -- crushed
    • 2 tablespoons currant jelly
    • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter

Combine all ingredients except the butter in a stainless steel or enamel pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. (Don't let it burn. Add a small amount of water if it cooks down too low.)
    Strain sauce into a clean pan. Add butter. Simmer until the butter melts. Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Remove from heat. NOTE: This sauce keeps well in your refrigerator. Do not freeze!

And this one is perhaps a little too simple.
    (somewhere in between is what i'll do for christmas, i think)

from Sainsburys, UK

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 venison steaks
    150ml red wine
    2 tablespoons blackcurrant jelly
    Salt and fresh ground black pepper
    100g bag mixed herb salad
    Method
    · Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the steaks for approx 3 minutes on each side.
    Remove from the pan.
    · Pour the wine into the pan with the blackcurrant jelly
    · Simmer for 3-4 minutes until reduced by half. Add seasoning to taste
    · Arrange the steaks on a bed of mixed herb salad and spoon over the sauce.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante