Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza on a XL egg

Options
ray
ray Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I like to thank you guys in advance for the help. I have an XL egg and I am looking for a working set up for pizza. Last time I try my set up it burn the bottom of the pizza without cooking the top.

Comments

• Rush
    Rush Posts: 19
    Options
    I do pizzas on my XL quite often, and I have never burnt the bottom, just the top. What temperature are you running? Maybe try one of those air pans that is basically mesh to keep the pizza from directly contacting the stone itself?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Sounds like your pizza is sitting on top of the stone with no barrier between the stone and lump. There are several ways you can get a barrier between the stone and lump.

My setup is Platesetter legs up on top of the firering with the grid on top of that and pizza stone sitting on the grid.

You will see others that have the platesetter legs down and using the green feet to separate the pizza stone from the platesetter. Others may even use firebricks between the platesetter and pizza stone.
  • EggME
    EggME Posts: 116
    Options
    I didn't get the green feet with my large egg that I bought in a nest. Should I have?
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    No, the green feet don't come with the XL package. My dealer thru some in for me when I bought, I was his first sale on the XL.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    This set up requires a purchase from TJV, It is well worth it.

3-7-08002.jpg
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    This is the same exact setup I use on my XL. Be sure to allow the stone to come up to temp. I had the problem of the tops being overcooked by the time the crust was done. I now let the whole thing sit at temp for about 30 minutes and everything is done at the same time.

The other thing that really helped my pizza making was switching to parchment paper instead of corn meal.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    Mike,

I see a break in your platesetter.....hmmm not good.

Rick