Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A newbie with a little green egg who lost her directions.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received a little, green egg as a gift. I lost the directions on use, care and feeding. Could someone help me? My friend, Tom Ahearn, says I'll never go back to grilling after using "THE EGG".[p]Thanks to all who offer help!![p]Robin Davis-Yates

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Robin,
    Are you refering to a small or a mini egg? If it is a small, them you don't need any insturctions other than load & cook. Fill the bottom section with lump charcoal up to the first line which is where the 3" ring that the grill sits on meets the lower fire box. Hope that makes sence.LOL[p]Lite the coals & cook away.[p]Earl

• Robin,
    I am going to cut a paste something I wrote earlier. I think it would help you out. Hope this helps. --[p]I totally agree about the low cook temps. Close the vents off before you get to the temp you want and bring it up slowly. In regards to your direct grilling temp. I would have to say that you are getting it pretty hot. This is what works for me when Im cooking direct. I will use breast of chicken for an example. First I get the coals going with an electric starter. I then take the starter out of the coals and have the vents opened all the way. Slowly the egg will get to a temp of about 400. As soon as it does I close the top daisy wheel vent so that only the slots are open. You know what I mean? At that same time I close the bottom vent so that it is open just a little bigger then a fat pencil. Then, for my egg the temp will settle around 350. Thats where I like to cook. I let it go to 400 initially so I get a good well rounded fire.(vertually no hot spot) Last I put the breasts on 15 minutes on each side. Comes out perfect for me. Give Humpty some time to get to know you vice versa. You will soon be great friends.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Robin,[p]Welcome...you should get a lot of help from various people here.[p]My first suggestion is to check out a few folks websites. Tim M has a great one and a section for NEW USERS like yourself.[p]Your egg does need to be fed a strict diet of lump charcoal a couple times a week; in turn, it's going to give you back some excellent food!
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Robin,
    How assembled is your Egg? Have all the parts been taken out of the packaging material and assembled? If they haven't, it's no big deal, but complete instructions get lengthy. Please feel free to e-mail me: I'd enjoy helping you, but don't want to waate your time either.
    Ken