Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie - What size Egg?

Options
Five Dollar Eggsacta
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All -

This has probably been asked a few times. I'm looking to buy an Egg for my parents for Christmas. They'll typically use it for certain items, but not everyday cooking. I don't see them cooking for any more than 8-10 people at any time, and mostly things like turkey, brisket, and ribs. I've seen the numbers on the sites, but was wondering if someone could recommend a size based on practical experience.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Big Papa
    Big Papa Posts: 220
    Options
    I large would work very well.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    As an Owner of A Large, Small, & Mini BGE... If I could only have one it would be the Large. I took into consideration the fact that you mentioned they would be cooking for 8-10 people Turkey, Brisket & ribs. Fyi: I cooked on my mini twice this past weekend and my small once. Wed. Nigh I am doing a Boston BUtt overnight cook on my Large & pizza on it Fri. YOU CAN't Go wrong ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    $5,

Most of the time there is my wife and I. Once a month or thereabouts we cook for 24 and depending which kids + grand kids come over anything in between. The large alone is adequate for those needs.

With that said I now have a large, medium, small and mini.

All will say there are more accessories for the large, which is true. In my case the tjv adjustable rig and spider are two accessories that I use almost every time is use the L egg.

On the large I can cook a 23# turkey, multiple racks of ribs, multiple butts, multiple briskets or a nice size ham on the large. More if using multiple cooking surfaces. By the way, the ham cooks taste far better than Honey Baked Ham.

I think a medium would work fine for your parents and the occasional 8-10 people. There will always be the wondering, do we need a large.

The large for two people will at some time wonder if it is too large and if they are using too much lump (fuel). Don't let this be a consideration in your choice.

The lump in the egg if not used will go out when the egg is shut down. Then it can be re-started and used again. I will usually get 3 to 6 cooks out of one load of lump.

It is really nice to have two or more eggs to be able to cook different items at different temps.

If you can afford the large, get it for them. Tell the about this forum and they should be free to ask questions - any questions.

You will probably find they will use their egg more than you might imagine. The food just tastes better. Don't be surprised if they end up getting a second smaller egg.

GG
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Eggsacta...IMHO a large is the perfect gift. We are both retired and cook a min of 2 times a week on our LBGE. During the summer and on holidays when the "kids" come up to enjoy the lake we have no problem cooking for up to 20 folks. And like GG posted the lump lasts for several cooks.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I am with most in the 'large' camp, probably the best for what you have described. You mentioned that they will not use it for everyday cooks, but I predict that they will go through the same transformation many do, including me, which is to say that the more they use the large, the better they get with it, they will want to cook more & more often, & if it is mostly just the 2 of them, they will end up adding a mini or small for those cooks & the large for bigger cooks & entertaining
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • millhouse418
    Options
    Large! This is the perfect size to use.
  • EggME
    EggME Posts: 116
    Options
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    Why is it that I don't hear much about XL's? I have a large and a family of 5. I love my large! However, I really want some more room. Especially if I have guests over. I am wanting to purchase an XL and I have one lined up to purchase from the Tempe Eggfest. I suppose I could change my order to a Large if I needed. I just don't ever hear much about them. Is there something wrong with them or are they just to much $$$. Does anybody own an XL?
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I'd go a large in most cases but if you have a large family or will be doing large parties I'd go XL. Like you, I'm debating getting one for my parents as well since I like to do the cooking when I have dinner over there. I'm leaning towards a medium since 99% of the time it will only be the two of them.
  • Rush
    Rush Posts: 19
    Options
    I have an XL and I live by myself! I have lots of people over and tend to make a good deal of food at a time. However, I find myself going through a lot of lump when I am just grilling things. I am thinking of getting a medium just for grilling small things and small smokes. Then I can have two temperatures too!