Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Alcohol content after reducing wine?

Options
eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made a pot roast with wine. I reduced a bootle of wine by half, by boiling it for about 25 minutes or so before adding it to the braise. Did I effectively remove the alcohol content through evaporation? This is important, because one of my family members is a recovering alcoholic and I do not want to serve anything with an alcoholic content. I can chill the roast and use it tomorrow and serve something else if necessary.

eenie meenie

Comments

• Buckethead
    Options
    What I have read and seen on the tube you have almost removed all the alcohol. A trace will still remain, says the experts at the food network .
    Doug
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    After 25 minutes the Alcohol is gone unless that was a very, very, very big bottle.

Now if you see him/her jonesing for cooked meat it's because of the egg not the braising liquid. :woohoo:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i am no expert on this subject. but i did read a article years ago about recovering alcoholic's and it stated not to use any alcohol in anything you serve to a recovering alcoholic.

and my thoughts are this if it removes the alcohol but still leaves the taste of wine in there isn't it still giving them the flavor of wine still a temptation..

if it wwere me i would use something else like grape juice or make something completly diffrent..

but that is me

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    HELLO MY NAME IS BENTE AND I AM A FOODAHOLIC..

The wine is not usually the predominate flavor. It is blended in with the overall flavor profile.

I have a friend who loves homemade Vodka Sauce and is a recovering Alcoholic. She doesn't make the sauce herself. She has a couple very trusted friends make it for her.

She is still sober after 3 years..

Now if the wine/liqueur is put in last and served you are asking for trouble.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Bente,
    That was one of my concerns as well.....even if the alcohol content was burned off, will the hint of wine flavor be a problem. I just tasted the sauce and the wine flavor is extemely subtle, it is mostly a beef and aromatic flavor. Maybe I'll just ask my relative what AA recommends. My guess is that they'll say to not do it......but now I'm curious.

eenie meenie
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Why even take a chance???

GG
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    You're right......better safe than sorry. In fact, the pot roast will be even better tomorrow. I'll just serve some nice steaks today.......just can't figure out if I want a square of diamond pattern sear. Being a girl, I think I'll go with my best friends, diamonds.

eenie meenie
  • BENTE
    Options
    i would hate to be the one to make someone relapse ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks pete..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Let put this the simple way. No matter what we say your concerns will still be there.

So DON'T Do it..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    There ya go... two good choices!

GG
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    I didn't read the other replies, so forgive me if this is repetitive information. Bobby Flay was at the State Fair the other night and this question came up. He mentioned using extract instead of liquor, when he was pressed to answer the question, if any alcohol remained after the reduction. My wife and I kind of looked at each other since extracts contain alcohol also. He said if you really need to be absolutely sure there is no alcohol then don't use it. His final suggestion for a substitution was apple cider vinegar instead. I hope this helps you.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Now Miss/Mrs.Ms??? :S
    Go with a girls best friend, that was priceless. You gave me my laugh for the day.

Thank You, :)
    Bordello
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    are you comfortable enough to ask the person?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Bordello, It's none of the above, it's Doctor, but you can call me 'doc' or

eenie meenie
  • stike
    Options
    heck, diamond and square patterns are for folks that like to flip steaks. flip them three times, actually

i flip once.

sketchhahaha.jpg

nice and parallel. dunno what diamonds and squares do for a steak anyway. shouldn't have to flip more than once
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Stike,
    Awesome illustration!!!!! I'll have to hire you to design my avatar. I was obliquely referring to an earlier post labelled 'Silly Poll' by Tom2M. He was taking a poll questioning if people preferred diamond or square grill marks on their steaks. You'll have to weigh in....
  • stike
    Options
    i did.

that's why i said what i said.

can't for the life of me come up with a reason for opening the lid three times and flipping it three times, when one will do.