Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fillet Mignon Help

Options
Smoking Bulldawg
Smoking Bulldawg Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My fillets either come out to done in the middle or to under done in the middle.
I sear on each side for 1 minute at 700 then close the lid for 3 to 4. What am I doing wrong. Very frustrated .

Comments

• UnConundrum
    Options
    Are you using a thermometer?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Well for how I cook them that is HOT. I did a whole one last week, it was small 2.5 lbs and did it for like 2-3 minutes on each side at around 350 then took off the egg to bring it up to 550 or so then the sear and then let rest to med/rare. my time might be a little off, my notes are home and to much birthday vino :silly:
  • Smoking Bulldawg
    Options
    I will go back to the thermometer method. I was trying to break away. Apparently I am not ready.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I do not cook something like that, especially, with out my thermopen. I even wrote on the back of it with a sharpie the temps for beef and pork and chicken, just in case I have to much vino when cooking LOL
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can't cook by time and temp for anything, really.

can go by touch if you practice enough, but the thermometer is really the only way to go.

thick tenderloins have their own problems. cooking a thicker steak by just holding it longer over the fire can lead to burnt exterior and a cold interior.

try slow roasting first until 115 internal, then searing to finish.. or searing first, shutting the grill down til the thing is at 350/400, and putting the steak back on to roast.

or even warming the steaks submerged in Ziploc bags, in a bowl of hot tap water for a half hour or so. they warm to about 100-110 interior temp, and will require only a sear to finish off.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04878s.jpg

I like either the reverse sear or the hot water bath that stike mentioned. I season mine wih salt and pepper before the soak, and I go an hour in 100* water....mine don't get as warm as his do (usually about 80* internal), but when you grill them they get to 120*-125* really fast.

Both of these methods will give you a real even doneness across the thickness of the steak.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery