Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FoodSaver Question

Options
Kip
Kip Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just used the 1050 for the first time last night on a London Broil. It vacuumed most of the air out but not all. I froze it and there are a lot of ice crystals on the steak. Is this normal? Will the ice affect the freshness of the steak? Did I get a bad unit? I thought it would suck ALL of the air out. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• Kip,[p]I have a FoodSaver 300. I get the same results as you did. It is still better than freezer bags, but I am sure that the ice crystals affect the quality. It is definately not commercial quality. [p]Pout
  • Kip,
    you didn't get a good seal. There is an adjustment thing to control the amount of vacuum on a 1050. Me thinks that needs adjusted. Once I was trying to package some English muffins and that extracted the air so well that you would have thought I had stomped on them. (There was no need to freeze I just threw them out LOL) With the case of meat that bag should have been on the meat like a skin. Look at your manual. One other hint - I find that if I rest a VCR tape in front of my Food Saver that prevents creases in the bag which causes impossible if not just poor seals. Try it! ^oo^~

• MrCoffee
    Options
    Kip,
    I also use the model 1050 and it will draw the bags absolutely tight around the meat. Open the lid and there is a switch to change the sealing time from 2 seconds (I think) to 5 seconds sealing time for moist foods. Try the 5 second seal setting and see if that helps. Also, placing a layer of paper towel between the meat and the sealing edge helps keep from sucking liquids onto the sealing surface and into the FoodSaver.[p]Terry