Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How To Cure The Dreaded Frozen Gasket Syndrome

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After largely ignoring all previous threads on the subject having never experienced the frozen lid syndrome, I had to think quick a few weeks back upon finding my dome hoplessly frozen shut seven hours before the turkey was to be served. [p]With a 2 lb sledge and cold chisel in hand, the thought occured to me that heat might melt ice much quicker than blunt trauma. Not having a MAPP or Acetylene flamethrower handy, I lifted the rain cap and opened the bottom vent, (which stuck a bit but a couple of gentle taps quickly loosened) and dropped two lit fire starter cubes down through the chimney and positioned through the grill onto the remaining lump with my ash tool. Twenty minutes later I had a dome temp of 350 and the lid opened freely so that I could add an adequate amount of fresh lump to cook up the T-Day Bird.[p]Like I said earlier, I haven't given much attention to the subject before so I don't know if I am beating a dead horse here, but I couldn't help feeling a bit proud of myself for killing the 2 birds with one stone; unfreezing the lid while firing up the Egg at the same time.[p]Hope this helps those who may find themselves in a similar situation before they tear out a gasket or chip and crack the rim of their Egg in a mild frenzy to get the Q on this winter.[p]Cheers,
C~Q

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Nope, you aren't the first to discover this, but congratulations on discovering it on your own. Some of us brute force types might have tried the hammer and chisel.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Fairalbion
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Do you keep the Egg covered?

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Badger
    Badger Posts: 15
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Living here in the upper midwest my gasket freezes every year. I open it up the same way you did by droping half a fireplace fire starter (wax and sawdust)in through the top. It doesn't start the charcoal on fire but warms the egg up enough to open the lid. It takes about 20min to thaw it out.[p]To prevent freezing I cover the gasket with aluminum foil before shutting off the grill. This keeps it open all winter.

• Berky
    Berky Posts: 21
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    To avoid having the lid freeze shut (I live in northern Ontario and it is freakin' cold all winter) I put a piece of wax paper to separate the lid from the body of the egg. Works fantastic. Happy egging in the snow!
    Kevin Berkenbosch aka Berky