Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

re, royal oak, diff bag here in canada

Otobiz
Otobiz Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
as we talked yesterday about the bag of royal oak that I buy here is a diff pkg than you guys have. heres some pics.

caddi013.jpg

caddi014.jpg

caddi015.jpg

whats the diff

Steve

Comments

• Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    It's the metric system.....LOL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    My dealer snagged a truckload headed for Canada this summer.
    IMG_2417.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    where do you get yours and how much? i got mine from Lowe's for $11.xx . Walmart sells the 4.?? kg bag for $6.xx.
    canuckland
  • I bought a bag last year from Canadian Tire (retails this year for $13.99 for 18lbs.) which I think was BAD lump. It created an acrid strong white smoke for well over an hour. I was embarrassed as all the neighbours were annoyed from the smell. I ended up returning it claiming it was defective lump and they took it back. I can't believe this would be the same as what the BGE uses. I think the difference in packaging is to put the metric and french labelling on there. I would hope that the product is the same.

To other Canadian users, do you find this lump similar to the BGE variety? Maybe I'll try again as it's certainly cheaper. In the meantime I'll continue to use Maple Leaf Lump and the BGE variety for a milder smoke.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    I'm surprised Crappy Tire took it back, based on other stories I've heard. RO discloses on the bag the country of origin of the wood. While some people seem to think the foreign is OK the majority of us don't and refuse to buy it. I pitched 60# of junk lump from Paraguay.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Otobiz
    Otobiz Posts: 82
    I find maple leaf to have to many tiny pieces,and royal oak close to bge, paying 13.99 for Ro or 22 for bge I choose RO, - bge does have bigger more consitent pieces however, Im looking at price, it all burns

steve
  • Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    As of late I have found temp problems. I cleaned the egg, filled it for a cook, same thing. The next cook, I put in half Royal Oak and half BGE, it was better. Is one better than the other? What do you guys think?

P.S in Canada too, Royal Oak from Crappy Tire!
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • My last 2 bags of BGE did not have many big pieces at all, lots of small and very few mediums, lots of bark and about 3 rocks. Unless my dome has air gaps, the lump burned away too fast (maybe due to the small lump?). Maybe I'll buy another bag of RO and try again.
  • Shwiezzee
    Are you in Canada?
  • Yep, just east of Toronto in Pickering.
  • well the difference is yours says Old Fashion on it.....
    just wondering, but if you guys in canada buy the american made red bag do you consider it to be "foreign" lump like those among us do to the argentinian?.......
    inquiring minds want to know.
  • I can get it from a butcher shop in Chicago.
    The writing is in French too.
  • Shwiezzee
    That is a good question.... I'm going to have beer and think about it. :laugh: