Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brining/pheasant???

Options
smoke
smoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cooking some pheasants fri night which is a first. also i have never brined. dont know what i need to do or how to. any ideas for brining or recipes. thanks

Comments

• SoDakEgger
    Options
    I am assuming you are talking about wild birds. Wild pheasant needs to be cooked slow and with moisture, otherwise they are going to get dry and or rubbery.

I have a recipe for pheasants I have made on the Egg with great success. It sounds a little odd, but trust me on this one.

Drain and rinse some sauerkraut- a big can or one of the refrigerated bags of the stuff. Put a layer of the kraut on the bottom of a baking dish. Throwing in some bay leaf, juniper berries, sliced apples, or onions would be a good touch. Salt and pepper the birds and place them on top of the kraut. Cover the birds with the remaining sauerkraut. I usually sprinkle a little vermouth over all. Cook indirect at 325 for like 2 hours. The birds come out really nice and tender this way and because the kraut was rinsed and then cooked it has a mild flavor.

My favorite non-Egg recipes for pheasant are to use the meat for soups or chili or for a la king.