Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New egghead here

StitchesStitches Posts: 102
edited 4:00AM in EggHead Forum
I got me an egg today and got my first cook on it and wow I'm really impressed with how easy it maintains the cooking temps and really seems to use the coals very efficient. I've cooking BBQ for about 5 years now and the egg is by far better than the metal units I've been using. Think I'll try a few slabs of ribs tomorrow.

Also one tip. Don't try and stick your hand inside the opening at the bottom where the air vent at while picking the egg up,or you might be like me heading to the hospital to get your hand stitched up. Yea I know metal cuts skin and I should have knew better. :whistle:

Sausages.jpg

BGE1.jpg

BGE2.jpg

Comments

• BoxerpapaBoxerpapa Posts: 989
    Congratulations on your new Egg. Battle wounds are part of ownership of an Egg. I have many to prove that i.e scorched legs from the flame shooting out of the bottom vent. But all I have to say about your is: OUCH!!!
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,791
    welcome! You should change your handle to "stitches" in honor of the trip B)
  • Welcome to the club. You will find a lot of fantastic advice here from some great cooks.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Welcome and good luck on those ribs!

Whereabouts are you?
  • StitchesStitches Posts: 102
    Crimsongator wrote:
    welcome! You should change your handle to "stitches" in honor of the trip B)

Stitches.... I like it.
    There is always a reason for the handle...except hungryman (he is not creative :whistle: )
    Fidel wrote:
    Welcome and good luck on those ribs!

Whereabouts are you?

Right next door.. Sumter SC.
  • Welcome Chris...er, Stitches...

Where you hail from??
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Welcome Stitches! :laugh: Glad you can laugh at your troubles. Comes in real handy! Hope your future experances are better. Glad your posting pics all ready. Lets see the stiches!!lol
  • welcome and thanks for posting pics..
    sorry about the hand hope it heals quick
    bill
    nmsg
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Congrats and welcome. Attend an eggfest to learn more and help out. Just watch out for "The Grape One"

Mike
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Congratulations and thanks for showin the pictures.

Just finished some of those myself. A lot of folk on the forum make & stuff their own.

Welcome to the forum.

GG
  • The forum is great. But, every once in a while you will get a sarcastic, arrogant response berating you for even asking the question you post or giving your own advice. Don't let it get you down, it is an ego thing for some and you have already survived the cuts and stitches of being a new egghead.
    stitches sounds pretty good to me too.

GG
    JLOCKHART29 wrote:
    Welcome Stitches! :laugh: Glad you can laugh at your troubles. Comes in real handy! Hope your future experances are better. Glad your posting pics all ready. Lets see the stiches!!lol

Here you Go

_CSC3743.jpg
    Crimsongator wrote:
    nmsg

South Carolina
    If you get a marker, you could make a smiley face from that scar :)
    arrrr...would that be a bent towards Climpson or them thar gamecocks?
    Crimsongator wrote:
    arrrr...would that be a bent towards Climpson or them thar gamecocks?

Gamecocks....
  • EggZonaEggZona Posts: 108
    Careful when you are throwing out that old steel horizontal. It has a lot of sharp edges on it.
    That doesn't look fun, probably didn't feel good at all, either part.

GG
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    First -- Welcome!

Second -- Sorry 'bout the stitches!

Third -- Heavy duty leather gloves come in handy --

~ Best!

~ broc
  • RRPRRP Posts: 19,500
    First - Welcome
    Second - sorry about your pain
    Third - in pix #2 there appears to be a bottle of charcoal lighter fluid. I hope you didn't use that stuff in your egg!
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    RRP wrote:
    First - Welcome
    Second - sorry about your pain
    Third - in pix #2 there appears to be a bottle of charcoal lighter fluid. I hope you didn't use that stuff in your egg!

Ahh the pain is no problem the doctor gave some good pain meds.

Nope didn't use the lighter fluid that was left out from a recent camping trip.. The guy at the store made me promise to never ever use lighter fluid in my BGE.
  • DryFlyDryFly Posts: 351
    Man, don't tell people you cut it on your egg! Tell them you fought off a straight razor wielding thief that tried to jump ugly with you and make off with your Egg. He'd have to be a very strong one, but I think you could run with that story. People will be beaming with admiration. My lord! I'm having a flashback to the days I was a lawyer. Maybe you better stick with the truth. Did I say that??
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    nmsg
  • Stitches....leather gloves are good advise. They really come in handy when doing high temp cooks. A pair that come close to the elbow will leave the hair on ur arm when opening the egg. :whistle:
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Alexander City,Al