Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking in Ceramic

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to cooking with ceramics. I would like to know if using chunks for smoking will then affect any desserts, cakes etc. that I would be baking subsequent to having used the smoke wood in the cooker. Does the ceramic absorb flavors from previously used lump or smoke woods? Thanks for all the help and great recipes you guys post.

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Yes -- Stuff you're baking does absorb smoke and food flavors from current and previous cooks.

Many people like apple pie with smoke flavors... My wife and I do not. Most people do a high temp burn to clean out previous grease, and most do not use smoke woods for dessert baking.

We have dedicated our Small to baking. We never use meat in this Egg, except for the relatively little meat toppings in pizza. We'll still "clean it out" with a hi-temp burn if we feel necessary before introducing breads, pies, cakes...

Then again -- we're fussy!

Good luck!

~ Broc
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    Yes is does. If you have any smoke wood from a left over cook. Clean out the lump and start fresh. No need to waste the old lump. Dump it back in later.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    You want to burn your lump until there is no smoke. I initially baked cakes on grill that had slight smoke , the result was a cake with a smoke flavor. You want to avoid this.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well... i'd say yes and no. the ceramic doesn't absorb anything, and the dome doesn't radiate smoke smell downward....

if there's fat or drippings in the lump, or you have a dirty egg (stuff in the gaps), you can have leftover smells from other cooks.

but not from the egg itself. a clean burning fire with new (or clean) lump at 350 or so (baking temps) should not create any smell of, say, pork barbecue unless the lump contains drippings.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I bake in mine all the time...Before I do I run the temp to over 600 deg and let it burn all the crud out...

195800938_Gb4Ux-L.jpg