Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Question

Options
fiver29
fiver29 Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am presently cooking direct at 250*. This is my second attempt at salmon. I was pleased with my first attempt except for a little crispy bottom. So this time I raised the main grid so the filet is farther away from the coals. Anyway, my question is why does it sweat? I don't really like salmon that much and I'm cooking it for family because they do like it. But I don't think it should sweat. Am I doing something wrong? Last time I just wiped it off at the end of the cook. Just curious if this is normal.[p]John
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    fiver29,
    Sweat, huh? I cook a Lot of salmon on the egg and have never noticed sweat. I cook at 600-700F, timing depends on thickness, but usually 7min/5minutes starting with skin down for chinook (king)filets. When you cook salmon at intermediate temps, such as 250F, you get the fat moving up onto the surface, often looking like mayonaisse. Using frozen fish make all this worse. So, sear fresh salmon at high temps, then finish with ginger/lime or garlic/tarragon butter (well-salted).

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    fiver29,
    I cook salmon usually for 30 minutes at 350 with lots of smoke. I see what you are describing sometimes. I just don't worry about it. We just eat it up. [p]Speaking of salmon, I have about 9 oz of salmon on the egg now smoking over apple wood for use in my version of kedgeree later on tonight. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I have no doubt it will get eaten up. Just don't like the presentation. Last time I smoked with hickory and this time with Kiawe. Maybe next time I'll try it with apple. BTW, what is kedgeree?[p]Thanks and Happy Holidays!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    fiver29,
    Ha ha! I KNEW I could get one of you to ask what kedgeree is. In it's purest form, it comes from Scotland and is something along the lines of rice, smoked haddock, hard cooked eggs, onion and curry powder. It would be eaten for breakfast before the hunt. The way I make it is to sweat an onion, add about 1/2 pound of shredded smoked salmon, add 2 cups of cooked rice, add 1 package of peas and 1 of corn (jolly green giant packets), add 4 diced hard cooked eggs. Remove from the heat and add 1 small tub of sour cream. Serve hot with crusty bread. It's really good stuff. Tonight's was the first time I did my own smoked salmon for the kedgeree. I think I prefer it to the smoked salmon you can buy on those gold cardboard sheets.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, there you go again, TNW...introducing something different to a mid-western flat lander like me! BTW folks it was TNW who first introduced this board to Spatcocked Chicken. Was it new? no, in fact it's sort of ancient, but was new to the BGE board. Thanks Whiz, now I've got something new to try!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Salmon.jpg
    <p />fiver29,[p]Not sure what you are reffering to when you say sweat. If it is the white mass you see as in this photo, then it's the fat rendering out. Salmon is a very fatty fish.[p]Mick