Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Undercooked Steaks

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I cooked a couple of large sirloin steaks. One was about 1" thick and the other 3/4". I allowed both to come up to room temperature beforehand. I cranked the egg up to 650° and seared for one minute per side, flipped a second time and shut down the vents. The steaks stayed in that way for 3 1/2 minutes.[p]When I pulled them off, the thinner steak was too rare and the thicker one was still basically raw. Do any more experienced Eggers have guidelines for getting to that perfect medium rare consistency?
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Fairalbion,[p] For your steaks, at 650º, I would have seared for at least three minutes a side and let them dwell for about five to get medium rare to medium. I know it will be painful for you to eat more steak, but I think you just need to practice more ;-)![p]Mike
  • Fairalbion,
    for a long time I adhered to 3/3/2 for medium rare at 700°. That's 3 minutes one side, 3 minutes other and then dwell for 2.
    HOWEVER, ever since I took the advice of a fellow in Texas, whose name I forgot I use his method of sear for 1.5 minutes per side at 750 to 800. Then remove the steaks for 20 - 25 minutes to let the meat relax while getting the egg down to 400. Return steaks for 3 and 3 for steaks 1.5" to 2" thick - shorter for anything thinner. Takes more time, but worth the effort and besides lets you be with your BGE longer! ^oo^~

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    bbqfork.jpg
    <p />Fairalbion,[p]This Williams-Sonoma "BBQ fork" was a gift a while back from some well-meaning and unknowing friends to yours truly.[p]I thanked them, chuckled, and put it in the closet for a year. When I finally did try it out, just for grins, it worked like a champ. Perfect results everytime. There were many occasions when I thought I had cooked the hell out of some steaks only to find they were still mostly raw and needed more time. It's very good on hard to judge thicker cuts.[p]Kwn

• StumpBaby
    Options
    KennyG,[p]That's funny. My wife bought me that a few years ago, at Brookstone I think, and I gave it the same response (privately of course), but I finally did take it out and use it on a turkey one day, and dagnab it if'n it doesn't work like you read about. I don't use it a lot, but it does work well, and it does come in handy when I have large hunks of meat a-grillen. My wife is somewhat paranoid of undercooked meats..so I often use it to prove to her how the meat is done.[p]StumpBaby
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]Whoops, I should have looked at the brand name right on the unit. It was from Brookstone. Not used often, but sure is handy when needed![p]K~G

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Fairalbion,[p]Wow, another steak post--I'm getting hungry now. As I offered to Cornbread Willy, send me an email if you would like my verbose narrative in Word format on how to cook the perfect steak, from butcher to serving plate.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Fairalbion,
    Not being a particular fan of dwelling, I like to do a 1" steak for about 3 minutes per side at 600 - 700 degrees. This results in a perfect medium rare to rare.
    JimW

• TRex,
    Ah now I remember it was you with the 20 minute resting method, wasn't it?
    http://BigGreenEgg.com/wwwboard/messages/58466.shtml

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    kat,[p]Yep, that's me. Glad to hear that this method is working well for you. Happy cooking!