Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini or Small?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone, please help me make up my mind. Can't decide which one to get. Mainly want it for steak, maybe chicken, burgers...etc. Just two of us and I already have a large. Mini or small? Is the small worth the extra $200.00? I know some of you probably had the same questions going through your minds and what made you buy one over the other? Mini urrr many thanks.

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i have a mini and a large, but i still want a small. the mini would probably suit your needs, but the small would probably be more versatile.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Get the small. It fits perfect with the large. It is very portable and has more space then the mini. You will tend to use it more than the large once you get it.
  • I've got a large, small and mini. I'd have to suggest you get the small because of the versatility. Especially the indirect cooking possibilities.
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Go with the mini its what i use now 80% of the time
    you will love it ,I have small and a mini would never part with any but use the mini most (buy a small Later)
    Dave
    000_0033.jpg
    Steak on mini 100_0360.jpg
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    I have had a mini, small, medium, and large for 10 years. You need the large to cook long, low, and for many.

I like the mini the best for steak. The meat is closer to the coals than the other models and browns very nicely. The real benefit is closing the vents for the finish of the cook and losing very little moisture from the meat because there is no airflow through the egg. The mini takes less moisture from the meat than any other model.

Best of luck,
    Spin
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I have both, and I brought my mini to work with me yesterday and cooked bratwurst for 15 people. If portability is important, go mini. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    if your steaks fit on the mini inside the firebox, not just the outside of the grill, then it should be fine. i own the small and the large and really dont use the small much anymore, the large is my camping egg. what is the actual usable grill diameter of a mini that sees the fire? thats how i would make the pick as i like very big steaks even though i dont eat them all in one sitting, gotta have some for lunch, some for the dog
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    I cannot compare the 2 because I only have the mini (& a large), but I did go through the same analysis when picking up the mini recently. It is fantastic for most 2 person cooks or larger cooks for the appetizers while you have something going on the large - it heats up to cooking temp in minutes, uses barely any lump, & shuts down fast too. It also travels very easily & can be set up anywhere & moved with ease. It is more versatile than I would have guessed prior to getting it & would definitely recommend it.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • i have a large and a mini.. would like a small but really do not need it.. tonight will be sirloin and while it is resting i will grill some romaine... 30 minutes from start to finish.. lots lof lump left.

click for slide show of random mini pics

th_mini004.jpg
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    My vote is for the small (as others have said there is more versatility with the small). This is just my opinion--take it for what it is worth. I have a large and recently added a medium.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    We can not buy green eggs in México.......So my decision for a second had to be very well sustained. I have a large one and at Eggtoberfest after much thought I decided to get the mini I consider myself to be very practical so to me this second egg is a step (the cheapest step) into buying more eggs......other important considerations to buy the mini were weight, movility & family size, We are only 3 in the family it is easy to carry for me and would love to take it places.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    I have the large and the small and recently...just got home today...took the small on a trip to NC. All 4 kids and their spouses were there and I did most of the cooking on the egg. The kids were most impressed. I think we may have some joining the family...eggfamily that is. ;)
  • Mini does the best steaks. Easy to travel with, our mini just went to Hilton Head with us. Just get them both if you can't decide!