Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken on my medium NOPE!

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well...I had my grandmother over this eve for a little dinner. I thougth we'd all enjoy a beer can chicken off the medium egg. Placesetter legs up...grate atop.....can't close the lid on my 3 3/4lb fryer. I was shocked. Dome height was insufficient for this little bird.

Quickly got rid of the can and cooked the chicken on its back. I knew the eggs don't have much indirect space but was really really surprised that my clearance was this low. I did not use a stand or any such nonsense as cans have always held steady for me (use chix legs as a tripod) and the can was stuck WAY up this chix rear end....very little can showing at the bottom.

and don't tell me to go get a large please. I just spent 700 billion last week :blush:

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Personally I never saw the purpose of wasting a perfectly good beer...

The eggs ability to hold in moisture eliminates the need for the beer anyway.

Furthermore I suspect if you moved the chicken slightly to one side the lid would have closed. That dome thermometer has habit of getting in the way.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Have you tried spatchcocking yet. I like the results the best.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    The plate setter did you in. I've done many stand up birds in my medium, but the grill has to be at fire ring level with the bird in a drip pan. Do they make a half height fire ring for the medium? Take a look at ceramicgrillstore's solutions. I don't think they make a medium Spider, but maybe you can make one yourself, once you see the concept. All that said, like Big'un, I am now a Spatchcock convert.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Just thought of another option, get a small grid, and set it on a round drip pan setting on the upside down place setter. That should gain you a couple inches of headroom.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    yep... or just put the can in the drip pan and stand the bird up right in the drip pan on the plate setter/legs up. make sure to use somethng to shim the thermometer so it doesn't stick in so far when cooking things high in the dome...

firstovernightbutts-003.jpg
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    I like that thermometer shim idea...I never thought of that. There was NO way to close the lid no matter where I placed the chicken...there was not enough clearance....period. I agree that beer can chicken is more a novelty than anything...and that it is a waste of a perfectly good beer. I placed the chicken on its backbone and did my cook the same way that I would have with the beer can. Chicken was juicy and delicious..lacked nothing from missing the beer can. I guess if I want to waste a beer I'll use my gasser (and I never waste "good" beer)

Jason
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    Glad it turned out without the beer!

Tis true - never waste a good beer on a chicken - alive or dead! ;)

The Guinness goes in the cook, and what ever cheap American beer was on sale at the local supermarket goes in the chicken :laugh:

Is the beer needed in the chicken? no... but many things in life are not "needed", but we do them anyway, it's all part of the great adventure! Whee! I consider cooking to be more art than science, so who is to argue what is truly needed. :whistle:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i did a beer can turkey once in my large.. i used the platesetter but no grate.. fit fine... you might want to loose the grate next time ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Bird will beer can on a Medium which is what I have. Just make sure it is centered. That said all I do now is spatchcock.
    NEW08052.jpg
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    You don't really need the grid. Place a pan on the plate setter and place the upright bird in the pan.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I agree with JL. I have done many upright chickens (only once with a beer, it seemed to make no difference) on my medium. I can fit at least 2 in there at the same time. I don't use a plate setter though; I use the 2 grates and a steel pie pan method. Usually I spatchcock'em now, unless I want to cook more than one. 'Course now that I have the large as well, space is virtually never an issue :woohoo: